Best bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my piggies live indoors.They have flat newspaper with thick hay on top in warm weather,at this time of year they are on vetbed.

I've got one piggie on profleece and one on shavings and hay, I'm trying out megazorb next week though for both of them :)
I keep mine indoors :)

I really do think it depends on where you are going to keep them, mine are freerange in a shed and I use newspaper with auboise and hay, but I think that would be quite messy indoors and would probably opt for vetbed or fleece :)

All mine are indoors.

I first had them on vetbed................it was sort of ok and will sometimes still use it.

Then I had them all on newspapers then covered generously with hay.

Now I have aubiose (the horse bedding stuff) - its non dust and I am trying it out to see how it goes. Thick spread on newspapers. Lots of popcorning around the room when they there cleaned and popped back in = so we will see. Recommended to me by Starshine (Kate).

Helen.

If I can't get pigs indoors all year round (jury is still out as I haven't told Peter they are staying indoors yet...lol) then I will use aubiose in the shed, it is only £8.00 for a 3ft bag up in Widnes.

Keep us posted on how it goes Helen. Megazorb is ok but in my shed it just gets in all the little tiny gaps in the flooring drives me mad! :D

I love auboise..best thing since sliced bread :smitten:

Does it smell Sammy? Not sure I can cope with smells in the summer with my hayfever it was bad enough last summer although I wasn't too bad because it was quite damp here and not too hot!

I don't think it does...and when PB came up she was amazed at it (as the shed was due a clean that day) I think she's going on to it now, there was no smell at all, it's really absorbant and easy to sweep up....even off the carpet ::) I seem to trapse it everywhere

Great! Megazorb would stick to my shoes then end up in the house! Caitlin was trying to eat it she thought it was popcorn! ::)

Finacard and Megazorb are both more absorbent than aubiose. Finacard having larger particle sizes than aubiose also does not track about and generally does not make a mess. Dust levels in bedding is also important factor to look at. Finacard has the lowest level of dust of the three bedding. Increasing number of rat owners are using Finacard.

mine are indoors and I have started with vet bed jury is still out tbh!! ?

my indoor piggies are all on paper and hay, they have the comfort of central heating too lol

Ive just changed my pigs in my shed on to towels with a polester shet over the top and for their bed they have pro-fleece with their big ramp over creating a bed, lots of blankets over the ramp and plenty of hay and they are warm as toast! its much warmer than when they were on shavings and they seem top like it more :)

I've just got a big bag of aubiose and will be using that with hay. Will let you know how we get on when we get the piggies :)

If you use fleece don't you have to wash everday becuase it will dirty. Do guineas soil their beds? If you put a litter tray iside do they use that as toilet area?

I use Safe Bedding, its like really soft bits of fabric and I love it, works really well for me, and I put thick layers of hay on the top. Absolutely love the stuff, and my piggies are outdoors :)

murtle said:
If you use fleece don't you have to wash everday becuase it will dirty. Do guineas soil their beds? If you put a litter tray iside do they use that as toilet area?

As with most things piggy-wise some use litter trays and some don't - typical eh?!

I use fleece blankets in hutch in shed and am thrilled with it - spot clean the poop twice daily and it's brill!

mine have fleece and a litter tray below the hay rack, this is where 90% of their poos and wees are :)

they have newspaper on top of the fleece in bed bit (under shoe boxes) that newspaper and the litter tray are cleaned twice a day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back