Best Bedding & Winter Set-up

Peanut&Hazel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I would like some advice/tips and your experiences.

It's winter, so we switched our guinea pig's bedding from fleece to paper since we can't wash the bedding outside anymore.

What is the best type of paper bedding(I currently use Kaytee clean and cozy bedding)?

Also, what are some other options for bedding/housing besides fleece and paper(like putting a plastic sheet/towel)?

Thanks!

Hello I have two boars who live in my garage. I use old newspapers, then a layer of wood shavings and then lots of hay in their two hides (boxes with two doors cut into them). Hope that helps.

Are you piggies indoors? I’m not sure why you would need to switch the bedding because you cannot wash it outside? We live in flat so it’s dried inside all year round, the liners come out 80% dry especially if you give them an extra spin in the wash.

Ooh kaytee clean and cosy is so expensive, at least here in the UK anyway. I can't imagine how much it'd cost to fill one of my cages. It was bad enough filling my hamsters cage (100x50cm and ~20cm deep).

Small pet select did do bales of paper bedding. Have a look at places that sell substrate for horses and livestock you can get large bales much cheaper than anything marketed for small animals. Obviously there may be the dilemma of storing the bag. Hemp is a good one, wood-shavings will be easy to find. Paper bedding I'm not sure of though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Are you piggies indoors? I’m not sure why you would need to switch the bedding because you cannot wash it outside? We live in flat so it’s dried inside all year round, the liners come out 80% dry especially if you give them an extra spin in the wash.
Yes, they're indoors, but we wash our fleece outdoors so it doesn't clog up/make dirty the washing machine, and it gets cold in the winter where I live, so we can't wash the fleece year round.

Ooh kaytee clean and cosy is so expensive, at least here in the UK anyway. I can't imagine how much it'd cost to fill one of my cages. It was bad enough filling my hamsters cage (100x50cm and ~20cm deep).

Small pet select did do bales of paper bedding. Have a look at places that sell substrate for horses and livestock you can get large bales much cheaper than anything marketed for small animals. Obviously there may be the dilemma of storing the bag. Hemp is a good one, wood-shavings will be easy to find. Paper bedding I'm not sure of though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Alright, I will look at that. Thanks! I'm also not sure about using wood since the pigs might get splinters and paper just seems more comfy for the pigs.

Alright, I will look at that. Thanks! I'm also not sure about using wood since the pigs might get splinters and paper just seems more comfy for the pigs.

They won’t get splinters from woodshavings, it’s not possible. Wood shavings are a commonly used bedding.

I’ve had 10 piggies in total on wood shavings and not once have I had to deal with splinters. 👍🏻

Yes, they're indoors, but we wash our fleece outdoors so it doesn't clog up/make dirty the washing machine, and it gets cold in the winter where I live, so we can't wash the fleece year round.
You can buy a pet wash bag from Amazon to prevent this, it catches all the hairs and any left over hay and saves your washing machine ☺️

Judt use a pet wash bag and it stops the haors clogging the machine. I live in an apartment and use rewashable puppy pads all year round and just dry them on a maiden no problem. You shouldn't have to switch to paper.

Back