Best Bedding For Large Cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiaMinx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've extended the boys cage and now my regular bedding isn't going to be cost effective at all, so I need a bedding that comes in bulk for a reasonable price, is absorbent/non smelly.

I've tried fleece previously and I really didn't get on with it so if anyone has any other recommendations, I (and my bank balance) would be eternally grateful :D Thank you!

I really get on with Aubiose. I get a HUGE bale from our local farm/equestrian shop for £10.50. The Aubiose itself doesn't have a smell to me (its made from hemp) and because the wee soaks through to the lower layer the top layer stays nice and dry and I find that this keeps smell to a very low level.

Duo Bed or Fitch

How long does the 20kg bag last you roughly?

I really get on with Aubiose. I get a HUGE bale from our local farm/equestrian shop for £10.50. The Aubiose itself doesn't have a smell to me (its made from hemp) and because the wee soaks through to the lower layer the top layer stays nice and dry and I find that this keeps smell to a very low level.

I love the sound of Aubiouse but I've not found an online supplier yet :( will have to keep searching!

I love Fitch,

I find it very absorbent, it's doesn't smell when opened like megazorb or shavings and is good with odor control, it's also lovely and soft.

One 20kg bale lasts me a month and i have 3 cages to clean out!

:)

I love Fitch,

I find it very absorbent, it's doesn't smell when opened like megazorb or shavings and is good with odor control, it's also lovely and soft.

One 20kg bale lasts me a month and i have 3 cages to clean out!

:)

I've heard good things about fitch so I'm leaning towards it now :) Do you tend to put anything beneath it, like newspaper? Or is it absorbent enough to put in alone?

I've heard good things about fitch so I'm leaning towards it now :) Do you tend to put anything beneath it, like newspaper? Or is it absorbent enough to put in alone?

I do put a good layer of newspaper underneath, I'm not sure if it would be absorbent enough on it's own but i find it more absorbent than shavings, megazorb was very absorbent but it smelt too weird for me and fleece was far too stinking (i could get it to last 3 days max) and i couldn't keep up with the washing!

I do put a good layer of newspaper underneath, I'm not sure if it would be absorbent enough on it's own but i find it more absorbent than shavings, megazorb was very absorbent but it smelt too weird for me and fleece was far too stinking (i could get it to last 3 days max) and i couldn't keep up with the washing!

I agree with you on the fleece, mine stunk almost instantly and the wash loads was insane! Fitch is looking to be the way to go then! Thank you :)

Auboise is very good but I changed my supplier to one who only sold Hemcore which was also made from the hemp plant & very similar. Unfortunately Hemcore stopped trading so I gave Raviera a try because it was only £7.49 for a 20 Kg bale & it's very similar but made from oil seed rape straw. I also buy big bales of hay from same supplier for £3.50 which I use for bedding & for feed. My 2 runs are both c&c 6x2 units measuring 85 inches by 28.5 inches & one bale of hay & raviera lasts about 5 weeks. I put a layer of newspaper down first followed by a 10 to 15mm layer of Rviera then cover this with a thin layer of hay. I change it every Sunday. I get the newspapers for free so total cost works out at less than £2 a week.

How long does the 20kg bag last you roughly?

I love the sound of Aubiouse but I've not found an online supplier yet :( will have to keep searching!
I get mine from a local equine supplier as I hate waiting in for deliveries after shopping online.

I use fleece for parts of my cage and aubiose in other parts

How deep a layer of aubiose do you use? And do you use newspaper under it? I just got a bale and i am not sure I am using it right! @Her Nibship

I used full newspapers opened out at the middle with a 1/2" or 15mm approx layer of auboise then a thin layer of hay on top. When they were in smaller runs (1.2m x .8m) I changed the hay & did a spot clean mid week but now they're in much larger runs this hasn't been necessary. I also use cat lit trays with white paper (teabag off-cut) bedding which are also changed midweek.

How deep a layer of aubiose do you use? And do you use newspaper under it? I just got a bale and i am not sure I am using it right! @Her Nibship

Yes, I use newspaper under the Aubiose - it makes it easier to roll it up and take out when I'm cleaning out. I initially put in a layer just thick enough that you can't see the newspaper through it. When I do the daily spot cleans I top up with a sprinkle in any areas where I've left it a bit sparse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back