Best Bedding For Asthma/allergy Sufferer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
DSC01556.webp DSC01670.webp

Here's my cage, it's a 6x2 and 2x2 L shaped C&C, there are 5 sows living in here, I always have fleece in the longer part and bedding in the kitchen area. I've tried various types of bedding in my years of owning Guinea Pigs, but never have I found one that suits my health, my piggies, and my bank account. Because of my health problems and the health of my Guinea Pigs I obviously cannot have any dusty or scented bedding. The best bedding I've found so far, and the one I've been using for about 1 year now, is Back 2 Nature recycled paper bedding and litter for small animals, it's great stuff, the only problem is how expensive it is, it's £18 per 30L bag from my Pets at Home, and I need 4 bags per month, so that's £72 per month, it's way too much and it's a shame because me and my piggies really like this bedding. I've tried cat litter made of the same materials, Bio-Catolet, which I have in there at the moment as it was on offer so I decided to give it a go, but it's scented, harsh and sharp on my piggies feet, it clumps (despite claiming to be a non clumping litter), and it gets wet and smelly within a day or two, I really do not like it, so that bedding is off the list. There is another paper based cat litter called Breeder Celect, I'm thinking about giving that a go as it's made by the same company as Back 2 Nature and it's cheaper than it, I just wondered if anyone has tried this and if it's just as good as Back 2 Nature, is it scented like Bio-Catolet or is it plain?

If you can please give me some dust free and good quality bedding ideas that won't break my bank account, that would be great. I've heard some types of horse bedding are good? If anyone also knows where I can get Back 2 Nature much cheaper or bulk buy it, let me know, thanks.

I use raviera which is oil seed rape straw and it comes in a 20 kg bag for £7.50 where I live and sometimes I do have to take out some of the bigger pieces but the pigs seem to like it and it's not dusty or smelly from what I can tell :)

Why not just use fleece with puppy pads underneath? Allergy free & cheap, just change & wash :) If you are talking about the kitchen area, I just use a tray lined with newspaper & put their hay in that, cheap as chips lol :)

£18 is very expensive for Back 2 Nature,In Jollyes it is much cheaper Jollyes.co.uk | Pet Food & Accessories what about just using wood based cat litter? It's much cheaper and I find it great,I use it for my rabbit litter tray and the guinea pig litter tray. It's cheapest in B&M bargains.

megasorb is a good soft litter.back to nature i get a 30 litre bag from vet uk for £10.89.hope that helps.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back