Bermuda Hay

Kyogre386

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So since I started with my guinea pigs I've discovered I am allergic to most types of hay. The timothy hay was completely unmanageable, I needed an inhaler every few hours. I switched to orchard grass hay which is definitely better, but I am definitely also still allergic to it. I went to an allergist and had tests run to determine what hays I am allergic to. I'm allergic to everything they could test for, but the one I am least allergic to is Bermuda Hay. This thread says that you can use Bermuda Hay regularly, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm not surprised that it's not in any local stores, but usually if something is available anywhere you can get it everywhere by ordering over the Internet. But I've searched everywhere and have found no way to acquire it online. Am I just missing something, or is it really unavailable through Amazon or anything else?

So since I started with my guinea pigs I've discovered I am allergic to most types of hay. The timothy hay was completely unmanageable, I needed an inhaler every few hours. I switched to orchard grass hay which is definitely better, but I am definitely also still allergic to it. I went to an allergist and had tests run to determine what hays I am allergic to. I'm allergic to everything they could test for, but the one I am least allergic to is Bermuda Hay. This thread says that you can use Bermuda Hay regularly, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm not surprised that it's not in any local stores, but usually if something is available anywhere you can get it everywhere by ordering over the Internet. But I've searched everywhere and have found no way to acquire it online. Am I just missing something, or is it really unavailable through Amazon or anything else?

Hi and welcome

Bermuda grass is specific to the Southern USA. Nutritionally it is pretty similar to timothy hay and should be therefore suitable for feeding to guinea pigs; especially as it is seen as suitable for a rabbit diet as well. It is most commonly fed to horses, though. Perhaps you can find it via equine providers?

I can however not help you with the sourcing in your country because I live in the UK where this forum is mainly based. Perhaps one of our American members knows more about it and how to get hold of it? Please be aware that climate changes can also impact on the availability of crops, including hay.

Back