Bereaved sow - Looking for advice on adoption

Ketoprofene17

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, after nearly 5 years of squeaking, my beautiful furry baby, Guanciale (named because his colors reminded me of the cut of meat Italians use for carbonara 😄) passed away during one of the many operations to his teeth. He just didn't make it through the sedation this time. Guanciale lived in the UK with me and my partner for 2 years. We then decided to move back to Rome, so I went first alone, rented a flat, sorted out the organisational details and then drove from Rome to Birmingham and back to Rome in 4 days in a rental car. That's more than 2600 miles! You see, no airlines allowed guinea pigs to travel from the UK to mainland Europe, so the only way was driving. And I had no intention to leave my guinea pig behind as I didn't have the time to find a REALLY caring home for him. We had big plans for him, so after 2 years of only having play dates (we lived in a 40 sqm flat), as soon as we got to Rome, we got him a female companion, Koupa (named after a Cypriot food. You see my partner is cypriot so it was only fair, one food each!). Koupa has been with us and Guanciale for a bit less than 3 years now. She's the most polite and lovely guinea pig I've ever seen.

We were and still are both completely devastated about Guanciale's loss and Koupa is not liking being alone. Having seen Guanciale's behavior change before and after he got company, I 100% can see why guinea pigs need company, it kills me to see her like this. But this period she's been alone, made me realise I can't get her a new friend. And I hate myself for this. But I have understood my mental condition doesn't allow me to carry on the circle. I don't want to keep her alone, so there's only one option left which is adoption. I don't want a rescue because they're not treated well here and finding a good, caring home for her in Italy is hard.
There is an educational farm nearby (Il Giardino dei Nonni) that has guinea pigs roaming free with other animals. They said they would adopt her if we decide to go for it. The idea of her living a life closer to "what nature intended her to" sounds enticing, but I don't know if there are other things to consider before taking such a step. I want to improve the quality of her life, that's the only case in which I'd feel "less guilty" about giving her up for adoption. And I am wondering if I'm right when I think that living in a group, roaming freeer than in a pen in an apartment would improve her lifestyle. Maybe she could have babies too!

I appreciate you may not necessarily agree with what we intend to do, but I'm just after some advice during some very tough times.

Thanks in advance.

I’m sorry you lost your boy. It is tough when you have to make the decision to break that cycle but it’s also understandable.

Well done for thinking about her needs rather than wanting to keep her single. It’s a tough decision which I myself considered recently. Do all rescues mistreat piggies/animals? Have you also tried speaking to local vets? Perhaps they may be able to find someone to take her on?

My worry with the farm is that she would be free roaming with other animals. Piggies are fragile and their diet differs from other animals. Aside from not communicating in the same way and being smaller than other animals, they can also pick up illnesses from other animals. One I know is rabbits.

As for babies, it’s not a good idea. More so as they get older. Piggies don’t lose fertility. Even young piggies can struggle with pregnancies and births.

It’s a difficult one because you don’t have many options. I wish you luck in making a final decision. It’s a tough one!

Thanks for your reply and for understanding. It is a very tough decision but it's the right thing to do for her and for us.

I already asked my vet if he knows somebody who could take her. And I'm not focusing on just Rome, I would happily take her anywhere in Europe if there was a good home ready for her.

The farm looked like a good idea, but like you said I'm a bit worried of interactions with other animals.

A good caring home would be my priority though.

Thanks for your reply and for understanding. It is a very tough decision but it's the right thing to do for her and for us.

I already asked my vet if he knows somebody who could take her. And I'm not focusing on just Rome, I would happily take her anywhere in Europe if there was a good home ready for her.

The farm looked like a good idea, but like you said I'm a bit worried of interactions with other animals.

A good caring home would be my priority though.
Can you try speaking to other vets as well maybe? I don’t know how ‘popular piggies are in Rome but you could try speaking to some rescues as well. Then again anyone can call themselves a rescue.

Back