Bereaved piggies

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly last Thursday I had to make the heartbreaking decision to put my eldest piggy Suki to sleep. I honestly didn't think my other two piggies would be affected in the long term as they would have each other but since Suki has been gone they seem very sad.

They’re both leaving food behind (even though I’m giving them the right amount for 2) and lie in bed most of the day. They spent most of their time together which is nice but the cage is quite large so I wonder if they still feel isolated? I don’t want to ‘replace’ little Suki as she was the light of my life but I can’t stand seeing my other two so sad. They’re quite young piggies and used to be so playful.

Sadly last Thursday I had to make the heartbreaking decision to put my eldest piggy Suki to sleep. I honestly didn't think my other two piggies would be affected in the long term as they would have each other but since Suki has been gone they seem very sad.

They’re both leaving food behind (even though I’m giving them the right amount for 2) and lie in bed most of the day. They spent most of their time together which is nice but the cage is quite large so I wonder if they still feel isolated? I don’t want to ‘replace’ little Suki as she was the light of my life but I can’t stand seeing my other two so sad. They’re quite young piggies and used to be so playful.

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.
It sounds like they are still acutely grieving which guinea pigs will often do for several days (on average 4 days but it can take longer). The death of a leader can upset a group massively and it is very hard to bear for a loving, grieving owner to see them so withdrawn.

However, they will hopefully start to pick up and start establishing their new pair in their territory with the usual dominance behaviour. See the chapter bonding and dominance for what you may encounter during that stage.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Back