Bereaved boar used to being with a female - would he accept being bonded with a male?

Helen82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all - basically my question is in the title. I now have five and a half year old Stanley on his own as Primrose died a week ago. I don't think I want another sow as I miss Primrose so much, and feel that from my (probably selfish) point of view I would be more comfortable with getting a boar to bond with Stanley. But Stanley has lived (as an insecure leader) with a female guinea pig for 5 years. I realise bonding boils down to personality, but can boars that have lived with a female for so long accept living with another boar instead?

Hello all - basically my question is in the title. I now have five and a half year old Stanley on his own as Primrose died a week ago. I don't think I want another sow as I miss Primrose so much, and feel that from my (probably selfish) point of view I would be more comfortable with getting a boar to bond with Stanley. But Stanley has lived (as an insecure leader) with a female guinea pig for 5 years. I realise bonding boils down to personality, but can boars that have lived with a female for so long accept living with another boar instead?

Hi

It comes very much down to personality. The testosterone has run down by that age and most boars will appreciate companionship much more at this stage of their life.

If you could date for a similar aged, fairly laid back boar, it would be a great help.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Back