Bereaved boar bonding

Gingerspider

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We lost our wonderful 3 year old sweetie, Martin yesterday. Heartbroken but know I have to think of our remaining boy Len now.
Martin was bought (before I knew better) with his best mate, Kurt from Pets at Home 3 years ago, as babies. They got on really well until Kurt tragically passed very young at 1. We knew we needed to find a mate for Martin but options were very limited during COVID. We rescued Len (who is, we think about 2 now) and attempted to bond them. It did NOT go well and Martin was left a bit traumatised by it. Eventually, after a good while of living side by side they tolerated each other but we couldn't ever let them play or hang out together as they would wind each other up and start fights.
The rescue told us Len was found with his outside hutch open and his mate gone and they suspected a fox may have taken his friend. I think this may have left Len with some fear aggression.
Len is a character and he's always happiest with some food in his mouth. He is still a sweet boy but very skittish and teeth chatters at other pigs and always wants to assert himself! We get him out for lap time and floor time every day but he won't be picked up. Like our other boars, we have a fleece teepee hurd method! He has bitten me a couple of times but not hard and I don't think he's meant to inflict anything serious.
My question is around how we ensure he now has the best future. I'd really like him to be bonded, so he can be physically with another piggy and have play time with them. He always showed way more interest in Martin that Martin did in him and the rescue said he had seemed desperate to get to the other pigs. I am not confident enough to try and bond him myself again. I found the whole thing really distressing to be honest. I've had a look at rescues on here that do dating but not got any luck with them so far.
I've even considered getting him the snip and seeing if we could get some girls for him but I'm worried about the risks, especially as Martin passed after surgery and I don't know if that will even work in helping him bond?
I'm especially worried as we are due to go away in a few weeks and I really don't want to leave him with our sitter by himself.
Also, there's the whole piggy cycle thing. I'm really struggling with the grief and I just don't know if I can't envisage doing this over and over again but also could not part with our boy and his forever home. Arghh! Too much to consider. Any help/advice greatly appreciated

I’m sorry for your loss.

While neutering then does not change their behaviour, it is obviously essential that he is neutered before he could be bonded with females.
Sow/boar bonds are usually more stable than boar/boar bonds so even if a boar fails with a boar, being bonded with sows often stands more success - not in every case of course!

The alternative if he really will not accept another piggy is that he lives alongside other(s) for interaction between the bars.

Thank you. Do you think it may be worth looking at adopting a pair of sows and seeing if they could get along (neutered) and if it fails Len could live next to them? I worried maybe the smell of females could drive him mad?

Thank you. Do you think it may be worth looking at adopting a pair of sows and seeing if they could get along (neutered) and if it fails Len could live next to them? I worried maybe the smell of females could drive him mad?

It’s what I would consider if there is any risk he won’t bond with a boar.

Well he certainly didn't do well last time. I am worried about the op though.

That’s understandable. Discuss it with your vet and see what they say.
The alternative is to just go straight to living alongside but then if you had sows next to him you’d have to make sure his cage is very secure so he couldn’t escape

I've had a rescue place in Blackburn come back to me to say they do bonding. They say it can take between 24 and 96 hours. Does that sound right?

I've had a rescue place in Blackburn come back to me to say they do bonding. They say it can take between 24 and 96 hours. Does that sound right?

Yes so there are two versions of bonding at a rescue - the long version and the short version.

The short version - you take your piggy there for a few hours, they are put with a piggy to see if acceptance occurs. If it doesn’t, then on to the next (if they’ve got another lined up). If acceptance does occur, then they will spend a couple of hours together at the rescue but you will then bring them home in separate carriers and then continue the neutral territory process at home for another few hours to get them further into the bonding process, if all is still well, they then move to the cage together. It takes two weeks for the bond to be fully formed.

The long version - your piggy goes to the rescue and stays with them while they find a friend and acceptance occurs. They then remain at the rescue together for several days to really ensure they are bonding and getting through the later stages of early bonding. You then bring them home together in the same carrier and put them into the cage together. It will still take two full weeks of being together to fully form the bond.

Thank you. I think I might try some bonding first and if that's not successful, look at the other options.
What's the best way to tell if a rescue is legit?
There's only 2 on the recommended list that are anywhere near me. One is closed and the other isn't accepting any pigs

Thank you. I think I might try some bonding first and if that's not successful, look at the other options.
What's the best way to tell if a rescue is legit?
There's only 2 on the recommended list that are anywhere near me. One is closed and the other isn't accepting any pigs

The two on the list are the ones we would recommend. Any other we can’t vouch for.

If this is one which is not on our list, ask them questions, see the piggies, their enclosures etc, is it in someone’s back garden etc?

Back