Bereaved boar behaviour

Gingerspider

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody else has noticed this in a bereaved boar. We sadly lost our beautiful piggy Martin last week and have his (separate) cage mate Len booked into a rescue to date some potential new pals in a week's time.
Len was rescued when Martin lost his best bud Kurt and unfortunately the bonding failed and they lived next to each other. Len has always been very grumpy indeed. He was aggressive in the failed bonding and has never really shown us anything other than teeth chattering (he's nipped me a few times but he's not crazy and can be handled) he's always been very skittish and run away when we've come near his cage.
Since Martin passed he's been getting mellower and mellower and now seems to be enjoying pat's and cuddles even in his cage. He's not running away is coming to the side of the cage to us. It's a real personality change and almost exactly what happened to Martin after Kurt died. Martin stayed that way till he passed.
Just wondering if this is normal? He's eating normally, pottering around at floor time etc. It's almost as if he's chilled out and is no longer scared/anxious?
Obviously with him going off for play dates, I am wondering if it's the right thing to do? Also paranoid he's lonely and seeking attention conversely?

Just curious if anybody else has noticed this in a bereaved boar. We sadly lost our beautiful piggy Martin last week and have his (separate) cage mate Len booked into a rescue to date some potential new pals in a week's time.
Len was rescued when Martin lost his best bud Kurt and unfortunately the bonding failed and they lived next to each other. Len has always been very grumpy indeed. He was aggressive in the failed bonding and has never really shown us anything other than teeth chattering (he's nipped me a few times but he's not crazy and can be handled) he's always been very skittish and run away when we've come near his cage.
Since Martin passed he's been getting mellower and mellower and now seems to be enjoying pat's and cuddles even in his cage. He's not running away is coming to the side of the cage to us. It's a real personality change and almost exactly what happened to Martin after Kurt died. Martin stayed that way till he passed.
Just wondering if this is normal? He's eating normally, pottering around at floor time etc. It's almost as if he's chilled out and is no longer scared/anxious?
Obviously with him going off for play dates, I am wondering if it's the right thing to do? Also paranoid he's lonely and seeking attention conversely?

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss. Len is obviously feeling lonely and is missing company so he is projecting his social needs onto you. That is not at all uncommon and will sort itself out once he meets a new friend - it depends very much on the individual personality of a piggy whether they stay friendlier or return to their old personality.
The last chapter in this guide here deals with how it comes out when a single piggy transfers their own needs onto the owner; it also has a chapter on the challenges specific to a bereavement. You may find it interesting: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Fingers firmly crossed for the rescue date! I am sure that Len is going to find a friend since he sounds fairly desperate for one and will be therefore more accepting of new company.

Thank you for that. That's really helpful and does explain a lot. Bless Len, I think he's always wanted piggy friends but hopefully now he's a bit older he won't go goblin mode 🤞

Back