• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bells Palsy

• Thread starter Thread starter tiodie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiodie

:'( I have a guinea pig named Princess Polly Twinkle. Polly is 2.5 years old and has always been chubby, vocal, and very active. She is truly part of the family and a joy to have around. Several months ago we noticed that she was having seizures and that her face was crooked. I took her to the vet and was told that she has Bells Palsy and the seizures were due to a middle ear infection. She has been on antibiotics and has not had a siezure. The problem now is that her face is so crooked that she can no longer eat or drink. i have been syringe feeding her prescription food 4-6 times a day and I follow each feeding with water. She continues to get thinner, and I worry that she is starving to death although she remains fairly active. It is difficult to increase the feedings because of our work schedules. Has anyone had something like this happen to their piggie? If so, can you offer us any suggestions. Thanks.

ive never had anything like that happen to my piggy, but my stepdad had it, and he was on drugs for ages to try and cure it.

sorry I'm not much help :( the thing with bells palsy is recovery is unpredictable, you can either fully recover, or recover but have permanent disfigurement, or not recover at all, I'm guessing its the same with piggies, this is stuff i found out about the human version.

sorry again i cant really help, if the food still isnt helping have you taken her back to the vet? to see if there is anything else they can do?

you could try something like science recovery, for extra nutrients and stuff, i really don't know hunny. sorry, all i could suggest is feeding more often, yet i know you can't cos you work. maybe take her back to the vets, and explain the situation. *BIG BIG HUGS AND KISSES FOR YOU AND HER* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

some people syringe feed their piggies baby food to help build them up, not sure which ones they use, maybe someone who knows will advise x

My rabbit has Horner's Syndrome (paralysis caused by nerve damage to one side of his face) This was caused by a middle ear infection and initially he had very little movement on the affected side of his face. This gave him a very lopsided appearance. Slowly it has recovered somewhat, although he has been left with some paralysis. Luckily it has never affected his eating, although his uneven bite has caused him to have problems with teeth overgrowing.

I think for now it is important to keep Polly's food and fluid intake up. Are there any foods which she can manage on her own? Maybe some grated carrot. Has the vet said if the paralysis is likely to improve? It took a good six months before I could see a huge improvement with Schmichael my rabbit.

Organic veg baby food, bread dipped in evaporated milk.... :)

You could just blend your own veggies and syringe feed her them :)

Hope things start looking up for you both O0

I'm so sorry to hear this :( i myself have bells palsy but it must be horrible for a piggie, i cant offer any advice on feeding the piggie because i have no experience but i do know that mine comes and goes, it isnt a permanant thing and i get all of the muscles in my face fully functioning in between, so all i'd say is that there is hope that it isn't permanent in piggies either and she may get the use of her mouth back soon :( i haven't had a spell of it in about 3 years so heres hoping it's the same in piggies. Really do have my fingers crossed she's ok!
Love Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back