Bell Peppers?

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I give my pigs a small amount of bell peppers everyday, even with the small amount it lasts them all day. At first I've always removed the seeds of the peppers, but recently I've started giving them seeds after seeing a guinea pig rescue channel give their pigs a whole bell pepper, seeds and all.

Now, my guinea pigs love the seeds, it's the part of the pepper they go for first, but my concern is, is it actually good for them to eat? Or is it just a choking hazard? I've read a few articles that go back and forth whether the seeds are good or not so now I'm worried I'm giving them something that will damage their health.

We cut the shrivelled bit of stalk off and check for any other bad bits (bloat prevention). The pepper is then quartered and sliced and given as is, seeds and all.
What we have noticed is that some pigs prefer green peppers and some prefer red peppers. And of course, there are those that will scoff anything, (Tinkerbell).

The seeds are fine as long as the piggies don’t eat a massive quantity of them. Like many other rodents, Guinea pigs have long and sharp teeth that were made to cut down things like seeds, nuts, hay, grass, and other vitamin c filled fruits. The seeds don’t contain a significant amount of vitamins but they are definitely tasty! 🫡

Back