Behaviour help please!

Lady.cheshire

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, in may I adopted two piggies, unfortunately one had passed away two weeks after, he was too good for this world! We then adopted a new piggie to help the one that was left from the original two. Their names are Frodo and Gimli. They were fine after we had introduced them slowly and have been getting on great until today, asaide from the male dominance stance they usually do we haven't had any issues. This morning there was some high wheeks and heavy teeth chattering. We took a look at the original one from the first pair, Frodo and noticed his ear was torn and had blood. We are doing what we can to help fix his ear, luckily it was only the outside of the ear so no major damage and his ear will scab and heal. But now I am scared to leave them alone. Frodo had already made it clear he was the dominant one of the two, Gimli being the more quiet and cuddly of the pair. We took them out of their cage onto the grass to graze to give them a neutral space, and heavy dominance occurred, with teeth chattering and wheeks and Frodo humping Gimli and Gimli retailing with growls if that's the right word. I'm scared to leave them alone, even though we have a pet camera watching them, I don't want anymore blood shed and no more injuries. If anyone could give some advice this would be appreciated so much. In attached video you can see the space they have and they get daily deep cleans. The grey is Frodo, brown and white Gimli. Any help would be amazing, thank you!

I think since blood was drawn they will need to be kept in separate cages side by side as neighbors, as their bond didn't work out. But an expert will be along soon.

Hi all, in may I adopted two piggies, unfortunately one had passed away two weeks after, he was too good for this world! We then adopted a new piggie to help the one that was left from the original two. Their names are Frodo and Gimli. They were fine after we had introduced them slowly and have been getting on great until today, asaide from the male dominance stance they usually do we haven't had any issues. This morning there was some high wheeks and heavy teeth chattering. We took a look at the original one from the first pair, Frodo and noticed his ear was torn and had blood. We are doing what we can to help fix his ear, luckily it was only the outside of the ear so no major damage and his ear will scab and heal. But now I am scared to leave them alone. Frodo had already made it clear he was the dominant one of the two, Gimli being the more quiet and cuddly of the pair. We took them out of their cage onto the grass to graze to give them a neutral space, and heavy dominance occurred, with teeth chattering and wheeks and Frodo humping Gimli and Gimli retailing with growls if that's the right word. I'm scared to leave them alone, even though we have a pet camera watching them, I don't want anymore blood shed and no more injuries. If anyone could give some advice this would be appreciated so much. In attached video you can see the space they have and they get daily deep cleans. The grey is Frodo, brown and white Gimli. Any help would be amazing, thank you!

Hi

I am very sorry but it sounds like the end of the road for them if there has been a bite to ear and not just an accidental misjudged back foot slash; since they are heavy-duty teeth chattering, feelings have been seriously hurt.

Please separate the boys with a divider in the cage for two days. You can try a formal re-intro on neutral ground outside the cage but have thick oven gloves ready and be prepared to separate for good if the aggravation shows up within minutes of them being back in the same space again. Sadly, most boars won't go back together after a bloody bite so make sure that you are prepared to keep them as next doors neighbours with full interaction through a divider but each with their own territory.

Here is the detailed advice: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back