Before And After Bath Picts Of Newly Rescued Texel

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am a foster parent from the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue in Portland, OR and just picked up this texel and her girlfriend. Here are the before and after bath picts of Penelope - and let this be a lesson as to why not all people should own a guinea pig, much less a long haired guinea pig, much less a texel! It is hard to believe it is the same pig.Penelope before.webp Penelope after.webp

Oh my, Penelope looks so brilliantly white & beautiful. I'm not surprised it took so many shampooings to clean her up. Piper is looking gorgeous too. When I adopted my grey sheltie his hair was way too long & he had mats on either side of his bum. I immediately cut out the mats and now get his hair cut by a mobile piggy groomer every 2nd month.

:DWow! Are you sure it's the same piggie? The bath has even made her coat curlier! It's a bit of a shame really because I liked that lovely soft creamy colour better than the white! :))

:yahoo:i knew the cream color was pee / dirt cause you could see the white by her skin and I have texels of my own and know the curls could be coaxed back with a good shampoo and letting her air dry. So many people don't know texels cannot be blow dried - it straightens out their curls. I then put on just a dab of coconut oil to help her skin and promote the curls. it takes about 4 hours to air dry texels in her play pen and every 30 minutes I scrunch her curls as she dries. It is a half day affair but it is worth it

I also wanted to add that the owner was a young teen who had gotten both girls a year earlier as "a reward for being responsible" according to her mom and now they are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and their piggy sitter canceled so the mom said to the daughter "well are we done with them?" and so they put them on craigslist which is how they came to our attention at the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue. So much for teaching her kid about responsibility!

Beautiful piggies, amazing color change. What an awful irresponsible parent! That kind of thing makes me so angry. So happy the piggies went to you.

here is another little guy who was found in the back of a pickup truck in an orange crate with 6 other boys - he was matted and is still recovering from pneumonia. He is also a texel but the person who was the angel who found them after farmer left them there for 2 days cut out his matts and brushed him - oops! so he is a work in progress to get his hair to grow out and get his curls back but after 1 month he is doing much better. Here are his before and after - you can see his new undercoat is trying to curl - he has more of a beach wave look for now - lolPippin before.webp Pippin after.webp

Great names, our girls are - Rosey, Chicklet, Oreo, Mixie, Chickpea, Mary Ann, Ginger, Penelope, Piper, Frankie, Charlie, Butterbean, Pepper, and Cricket.
The boys are: Pippin, Oliver, Potato, Finn, Bubble, Squeak, Phileep, and Paco
our Cats who think they are guinea pigs are Biscuit and Leeloo

I got a Peruvian and a texel from preloved and had so many mattes to cut out .Also had a sheltie brought into my local pet shop for rehome that had a huge matte on her bum and was filthy.Long haired piggies are hard work but there is no excuse for them being matted up

Gee that is a terrible story. Why do parents think that these animals are like some sort of toy that you can just get rid of when the
child is finished with it.

So glad though that they have come to you as you have done an amazing job at looking after them and transforming them into
such beautiful little piggies.

Keep up the good work (although by the sounds of it I think more love than work really) :luv:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back