• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Been to CCT today

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

& took Margalo for her 4 week check up on her Ovarian Cysts. Everything was ok & she had her injection to halt them growing back. I took my oldest pig Sue along to keep her company & also to have a general check up & it turns out she has a mite infestation although Margalo is fine. Sue's skin has always been prone to flakeyness but I had a look under the microscope & it was quite gruesome. Vedra seems to think it is the hay I am using which is from the farm. So MAXTHEPIG if you are reading this i know we get our hay from the same place keep a close eye on your furries!

It just goes to show that its not just the neglected pigs that get this kind of stuff - it can affect us neurotics :(
I think I'll be buying the sterile stuff over the winter and when hay is cut again & fresh I'll try again with a bale - bit p155ed off because I've got pretty much a full bale left.

Now I have to bath all 5 pigs 1x per week leaving the shampoo in for 10 mins for the next month - then 1x per month for the next 2 months. Didn't really want to get into bathing in the winter but hey ho. Looking on the bright side rather be dealing with a dose of mites than a dose of Ovarian Cysts again.

Aww poor piggies. i hope they like baths! At least it's treatable i suppose. Get better soon little pigs. :)

Its only Sue who has them visible though! She has always been what I call an 'indicator pig'. If something is amiss - such as mites etc she'll always cop it first. Poor old girl. Its a good job that I brought the pigs in from the shed. I had been missing them not being in the house & brought them in last night. I don't handle Sue too much because she has cateracts & must be nearly blind & if I take her out she can get a bit disorientated when I put her back. The visible mite evidence is only there when you brush her hair bacwards. Just a bit of flakeyness - but under the microscope on a selotape sample there were loads.

Sorry to hear this, what a horrible thing for poor little Sue, give her kisses to help her get better :-*

Boy are you going to be busy, pity it is winter now you'll have that extra worry to keep them warm, SIGH never ending is it.

Good luck :-*

Well I've been to the charity shop & had a good idea ::) (always dangerous)!

I have brought one of those foot warmers that look like a oversized giant quilted slipper that you plug in & they heat up!

I am going to put a layer of bubble wrap & thick layer of news paper in the bottom to stop wee getting onto the boot! Line it with a thin towel & put the pigs in there to keep warm & dry! Recon I can get 3 pigs in at a time with room to move. If it doesn;t work I have only lost £2 - & I will have a lovely brown & orange fur footwarmer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back