Bedding!

emilovely1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey howdy hey!
How are yall doing! Wednesday and Pugsley are doing alright! Still not a fan of being picked up or held. I’m trying not to pick them up as much as to not traumatize them but it’s been a few months and still nothing 😭😢 We’ll get there! Anyways the real reason I came here was for advice on what you all think is the best bedding that helps with odor control! What I’m using isn’t working out very well and when I wash them I feel like they don’t get clean enough. So what do yall suggest I use other than pee pads because those are definitely in the cage underneath the towels. Please don’t judge me as I’m still new and learning!

Added bonus I’ll post a picture of the boys!

Attachments

• 2A1AD730-0A83-4ADC-A2C6-ECDCA06CA80C.webp
    2A1AD730-0A83-4ADC-A2C6-ECDCA06CA80C.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Am I reading that you are using towels?
If so then they are possibly (part of) your problem. Towels don’t always dry as quickly as you would need them to and there are many owners who find they contribute to the smell (others get on with them ok though).
So that would be my first thing to advise you to try - stop using towels and instead just use fleece or bath mats over pee/puppy pads (you can get washable puppy pads).

The other thing is, as you have boys, is to consider how often you are cleaning and how much of the cage you are cleaning at a time.
If you clean too much and too often they will scent mark even more which can make even more smell. You are better off to only ever clean half the cage at a time so that part of the cage always smells like them so they don’t feel as strong a need to make the whole territory every time.

Yes you read that right. That’s why I made this post looking for something else. I think that is a big contributor to the smell. Honestly I only smelled them mark the one time. It’s mostly a pee smell that is the issue. Is there a certain fleece you use? More absorbent than towels. I also only big clean once a week, mostly spot clean. Taking out the wet hay and poop but leaving a little so they still have their scent. Like I said I’m learning

Another thing you could use with fleece bedding is to have some smaller pee pads for high traffic areas. Or you could use the noodle bath mats on top of the main fleece and change them every 2-3 days depending on their use.

Another thing you could use with fleece bedding is to have some smaller pee pads for high traffic areas. Or you could use the noodle bath mats on top of the main fleece and change them every 2-3 days depending on their use.
Thank you!

Back