• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bedding

The_Cavies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So one of my guinea pigs went to the vet today and he has upper respiratory infection and congestion. The doctor asked what bedding I was using I mentioned I’ve always used the care fresh paper bedding. Is there a better one that I can use or should I stay with the same one?

Is he on antibiotics?

A respiratory infection is caused by bacteria so unless the cage is not being kept clean and a piggy is being exposed to excrement and picking up bacteria from that, a particular bedding type itself will not cause an infection.

However some types of bedding can be dustier than others and some piggies are more sensitive to it than others.

You could switch to fleece to remove all dust elements but it’s a balance whether you can manage the additional washing!

Back