Bedding.

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi, me again 😂 just wondered if anyone has used this bedding and if it's suitable. I know it says "Safebed" on it but I'd rather go off the advice of you very knowledgeable folks. Thanks. IMG_20230207_175454.webp

You need to be careful with strips of bedding ,due to the fact guinea pigs are low to the ground.there small feet can get tangled up in the strips..Other members may have other opinions.

You need to be careful with strips of bedding ,due to the fact guinea pigs are low to the ground.there small feet can get tangled up in the strips..Other members may have other opinions.
All opinions are welcome 😊 thank you for yours. I've put some inside their house so will see how it goes. They seem happy with it at the moment.

I wouldnt be using that for guinea pugs, their tiny delicate feet may get tangled- their toes and claws are quite prone to snagging on things and getting injured.
Good disposable bedding options include small flake soft paper ones like Carefresh, Kaytee, and Small Pet Select. Some people also use dust free wood shavings- not sawdust, high quality shavings that are kiln dried and dust free. Paper based pellets are also very absorbant and may also be used in small areas but can be hard on the feet- not for beds.
Have you thought about fleece, if not for the whole cage then small mats for the bed areas- soft and washable? I think most of us here use washable fleece flooring and beds in sleeping areas, even if not for the whole floor.
There's a forum guide about this which hopefully someone will link in, but you can find anyway under the Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal Care forum section!

I’d agree with the others about this and would consider it a potential danger for their feet.

I use disposable bedding with either aubiose or Snowflake soft chip being my favourites and then topped with hay

I’d agree with the others about this and would consider it a potential danger for their feet.

I use disposable bedding with either aubiose or Snowflake soft chip being my favourites and then topped with hay
Good call there @Piggies&buns on the aubiose, I'd forgotten about that, a great bedding but my lot kicked it everywhere!
Can you link in the guide? I can't link from my phone so well!

I really don't like it. Not only is it poor at absorbing odour, I have heard hamsters dying when they ingest it as it caused a blockage. I've also heard it wrapping around teeth, toes and other limbs too. As guinea pigs explore with their mouths, I can see it potentially causing issues there too.

We've really been into the bulk 178 litre packs of Small Pet Select soft paper bedding recently, bought from Amazon for about £45 to £50- lasts about 8 or 9 cage cleans for the 3x2 area we use it in under hay, and very absorbant!

I really don't like it. Not only is it poor at absorbing odour, I have heard hamsters dying when they ingest it as it caused a blockage. I've also heard it wrapping around teeth, toes and other limbs too. As guinea pigs explore with their mouths, I can see it potentially causing issues there too.
Thank you. I've removed it. They have fleeces inside their wooden house now instead and I've just placed an order on etsy for a custom made fleece cube hidey.

I wouldnt be using that for guinea pugs, their tiny delicate feet may get tangled- their toes and claws are quite prone to snagging on things and getting injured.
Good disposable bedding options include small flake soft paper ones like Carefresh, Kaytee, and Small Pet Select. Some people also use dust free wood shavings- not sawdust, high quality shavings that are kiln dried and dust free. Paper based pellets are also very absorbant and may also be used in small areas but can be hard on the feet- not for beds.
Have you thought about fleece, if not for the whole cage then small mats for the bed areas- soft and washable? I think most of us here use washable fleece flooring and beds in sleeping areas, even if not for the whole floor.
There's a forum guide about this which hopefully someone will link in, but you can find anyway under the Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal Care forum section!
Thank you. I've removed it. They have fleeces inside their wooden house now instead and I've just placed an order on etsy for a custom made fleece cube hidey. I have fleece liners on the bottoms of the cages 😊

If I'm using disposable bedding, I used to love Nature's Own woodshavings. Since I can't get those now, it's a toss up between Back2Nature pellets, and Megazorb. Megazorb is great but it has a smell some people find offputting, but it doesn't bother me.

Also, bedding guide: Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
Thank you. I've removed it. They have fleeces inside their wooden house now instead and I've just placed an order on etsy for a custom made fleece cube hidey. I actually work in an online pet amazon pet store and we sell a lot of the Back2Nature.

When I first started using it 7 years ago the pellets were hard and firm underfoot, not really pleasant to walk on for little pig feet, but at some point they've changed how they do them? Still pellets, still solid, but very soft underfoot and the goblins love kicking them all over the cage lol. But they absorb a lot of fluid for their size.

Thank you. I've removed it. They have fleeces inside their wooden house now instead and I've just placed an order on etsy for a custom made fleece cube hidey.

When I first started using it 7 years ago the pellets were hard and firm underfoot, not really pleasant to walk on for little pig feet, but at some point they've changed how they do them? Still pellets, still solid, but very soft underfoot and the goblins love kicking them all over the cage lol. But they absorb a lot of fluid for their size.
I wouldn't know if they've changed it we just get it in from the manufacturer and sell it through amazon and ebay 😂

I like Carefresh with hay on top. That’s my tuppenceworth!

I used Safebed some years ago, when I needed a soft sterile easily changed bedding after one of my boars had a hind leg amputated. I never had any problems with tangling or ingestion. It was good in that the poops dropped through to the bottom of the tray, and being white would have shown up fresh blood if the wound reopened. But overall I didn't like it because it tended to end up pushed into piles, but the piggies can't burrow in it like they can in hay.

Bedding Guide

I've linked the guides as mentioned by Pigglepuggle. I've used just about every bedding going at one time or another. I now use (for years) and love fleece and more lately noodle bath mats. The mats are brilliant in hay areas as the hay shakes off easily.

Bedding Guide

I've linked the guides as mentioned by Pigglepuggle. I've used just about every bedding going at one time or another. I now use (for years) and love fleece and more lately noodle bath mats. The mats are brilliant in hay areas as the hay shakes off easily.
Ahh thank you. I have fleece liners on the bottoms of the cages and in their house they have a fleece pad. Do you think that's sufficient? I'm a 1st time Piggie owner. I love the idea of the noodle bath mats though 😊

I have large fleece liners over the whole cage, small fleece pads on top in the hides and corners where they sit most, noodle mats under a hay pile, I also put a newspaper under mats as they pee a lot while eating hay and it goes through the noodle mat sometimes. Mats get changed every/every other day as needed, whole cage fleece gets changed every 4 or 5 days.
My fleece liners have a quilted wadding middle sandwiched between fleece, I find this is enough in most cases (I have 3 cages). One of my boars pees a lot in one corner and it sometimes soaks the fleece liner as well as the pee pad. I have a puppy pad under the fleece in this corner to absorb the wet so the liner above stays drier. It's really a case of trial and error with each set up and it's inhabitants, what suits one set of piggies/owner won't suit another.

Back