Bedding

Nana1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I am collecting my 2 new guineas on Saturday and looking for advice on bedding for the hutch. I have just ordered a large bale of dust free long stem hay for bedding and eating but wondered what I should put down on floor of the hutch. I have had conflicting advice on both sawdust and newspaper. Are either of these products safe to use in the hutch as I was led to believe that sawdust can be an irritant to both eyes and feet. I am also concerned about using newspaper because of the print. Is there a safer alternative to either of these. Really want my new guineas to have a safe and happy home. All advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks - Nana1

Where are you keeping the hutch?
Are they going to be inside or outside piggies?
Some people use fleece on top of absorbent layers if inside while more bedding would be necessary if outside due to the cold weather just now! Snuggles heat pads can also be used to keep them cosy.
Mine are in a heated piggy palace and I use layers of newspaper ( quite safe) with fleece on the top ( i use Vetfleece) as this lets pee through to the paper while leaving piggies dry! I then have lots of hay on top plus snuggles pads in between! Hubby thinks that's OTT but I want them to be cosy!

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.
You will find a good guide to bedding here:
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

It is great that youg ot a large bale of hay as this is very important.
If the hutch is outsdie then a lot of people like wood shavings (shavings - never saw dust) or Auboise with a layer of newspaper underneath.
Most newspaper is fine to use, and won't cause a problem even if nibbled (assuming they aren't eating an entire Telegraph on a daily basis!).

If you hutch has wooden floors then you might want to cover these with some lino to prevent urine soaking in if it soaks through the bedding layer.

Hi
I am collecting my 2 new guineas on Saturday and looking for advice on bedding for the hutch. I have just ordered a large bale of dust free long stem hay for bedding and eating but wondered what I should put down on floor of the hutch. I have had conflicting advice on both sawdust and newspaper. Are either of these products safe to use in the hutch as I was led to believe that sawdust can be an irritant to both eyes and feet. I am also concerned about using newspaper because of the print. Is there a safer alternative to either of these. Really want my new guineas to have a safe and happy home. All advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks - Nana1

Hi and welcome

Please be aware that any hutch needs to have protection for both cold and hot weather. Ideally, it should not be outside at this time of the year, especially with small babies whose immune system is not quite fully developed and who are therefore more prone to illness and that have not been gradually adapted to outside conditions.
Guinea pigs have evolved to live in abandoned burrows in their roaming territory which provide a stable temperature throughout the year. They are crepuscular, i.e. most active at dawn and dusk when the temperature extremes are at their most even. They do not do well with quick temperature swings.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Unless you have an indoors hutch, I would recommend to not opt for fleece but an alternative to wood shavings with plenty of hay for insulation. When placing your hutch, please also consider just how keen and for how long you your family are keen to trudge out into the dark, cold and wet/ice to feed and to interact with your piggies, and how much more quickly your children are losing the interest because of lack of interaction. Guinea pigs without medical problems live to 5-7years on average - that is a long term commitment for you as the parent. The real lesson about responsibility is not the children caring for the piggies, but you teaching them to stick with a commitment long after it has lost its short appeal with your own example.
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents

We have got lots of helpful information and support guides for the most often encountered problems in new owners via this link here: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.
You will find a good guide to bedding here:
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

It is great that youg ot a large bale of hay as this is very important.
If the hutch is outsdie then a lot of people like wood shavings (shavings - never saw dust) or Auboise with a layer of newspaper underneath.
Most newspaper is fine to use, and won't cause a problem even if nibbled (assuming they aren't eating an entire Telegraph on a daily basis!).

If you hutch has wooden floors then you might want to cover these with some lino to prevent urine soaking in if it soaks through the bedding layer.

I will start saving my newspapers from now on. Nice to know it's safe for guineas. Lino is a very good idea to cover the hutch 1st as it will be wooden floors. I Will also look up Auboise (something I have never heard of!). Thank you

Hi and welcome

Please be aware that any hutch needs to have protection for both cold and hot weather. Ideally, it should not be outside at this time of the year, especially with small babies whose immune system is not quite fully developed and who are therefore more prone to illness and that have not been gradually adapted to outside conditions.
Guinea pigs have evolved to live in abandoned burrows in their roaming territory which provide a stable temperature throughout the year. They are crepuscular, i.e. most active at dawn and dusk when the temperature extremes are at their most even. They do not do well with quick temperature swings.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Unless you have an indoors hutch, I would recommend to not opt for fleece but an alternative to wood shavings with plenty of hay for insulation. When placing your hutch, please also consider just how keen and for how long you your family are keen to trudge out into the dark, cold and wet/ice to feed and to interact with your piggies, and how much more quickly your children are losing the interest because of lack of interaction. Guinea pigs without medical problems live to 5-7years on average - that is a long term commitment for you as the parent. The real lesson about responsibility is not the children caring for the piggies, but you teaching them to stick with a commitment long after it has lost its short appeal with your own example.
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents

We have got lots of helpful information and support guides for the most often encountered problems in new owners via this link here: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Thank you. The guinea pigs are approx 6 months old and will be housed outside as they are in a hutch outside with current owner. I am hoping that with loads of fresh daily bedding and a hutch cover to protect them from wind and rain they will be ok. I have planned to keep hutch off the floor and in a sheltered spot right by my back door so I can pop out to check on them easily and I also plan to bring them in daily for exercise and cuddles. I am purchasing them mainly for myself but I do have two grandchildren who adore guineas so I am sure they will love helping out with the care when they visit Nanas.

Where are you keeping the hutch?
Are they going to be inside or outside piggies?
Some people use fleece on top of absorbent layers if inside while more bedding would be necessary if outside due to the cold weather just now! Snuggles heat pads can also be used to keep them cosy.
Mine are in a heated piggy palace and I use layers of newspaper ( quite safe) with fleece on the top ( i use Vetfleece) as this lets pee through to the paper while leaving piggies dry! I then have lots of hay on top plus snuggles pads in between! Hubby thinks that's OTT but I want them to be cosy!

Hi Janice
I plan to keep piggies in a hutch outside but in a sheltered spot near my back door. The piggies are approx 6 months old and have been housed outside with the current owner so hopefully will be accustomed to the weather all ready. I will invest in a snuggles heat pad and also look into purchasing some vet fleece. Where would I get this and is it disposable or washable? Sorry but I am a novice and really want to make sure everything is right for my new piggies before they are brought home.

Hi Janice
I plan to keep piggies in a hutch outside but in a sheltered spot near my back door. The piggies are approx 6 months old and have been housed outside with the current owner so hopefully will be accustomed to the weather all ready. I will invest in a snuggles heat pad and also look into purchasing some vet fleece. Where would I get this and is it disposable or washable? Sorry but I am a novice and really want to make sure everything is right for my new piggies before they are brought home.

Vetfleece can be purchased through Amazon under Vetflleece.uk
It is fully washable and lasts for years!
I know others the Form have hutches so should be able to help you with covers for keeping out the cold.@Betsy is one.

Vetfleece is much thicker than ordinary fleece and as I've said the pee wicks away from the piggies so they will keep warm on it! Lots and lots of hat on top as already mentioned!

Hiya and welcome to the forum. I have outside piggies and I line the hutch with several layers of newspaper and then just add loads and loads and more loads of hay on top for them to burrow in and keep warm. I have snugglesacks (a piggy fleece sleeping bag) or you could just use a fleece hat in an emergency, snuggle safe heat pads, a fluffy tunnel and a what my son calls fluffy shoes.

Christian & Dennis Snuggly.webp

Fluffy shoes above. I also cover the hutch at night with a hutch hugger from Scratch & Newton and then a really thick Merino wool blanket. They also have other various snugglies too. Oh put some copper tape around the legs of the hutch to help discourage slugs from entering the hutch.

Hiya and welcome to the forum. I have outside piggies and I line the hutch with several layers of newspaper and then just add loads and loads and more loads of hay on top for them to burrow in and keep warm. I have snugglesacks (a piggy fleece sleeping bag) or you could just use a fleece hat in an emergency, snuggle safe heat pads, a fluffy tunnel and a what my son calls fluffy shoes.

View attachment 76988

Fluffy shoes above. I also cover the hutch at night with a hutch hugger from Scratch & Newton and then a really thick Merino wool blanket. They also have other various snugglies too. Oh put some copper tape around the legs of the hutch to help discourage slugs from entering the hutch.

Thank you Betsy
Your guineas look really cosy in those "fluffy shoes" where can you purchase them? do they ever attempt to chew on the fabric?

Vetfleece is much thicker than ordinary fleece and as I've said the pee wicks away from the piggies so they will keep warm on it! Lots and lots of hat on top as already mentioned!

How often do you need to wash the fleece Janice

View attachment 76988

Knew you'd have my Betsy cosy! Xx

Just to add that if the piggies are living outside you can't really bring them inside for cuddles - sorry.
The temperature changes from outside to inside will put a massive strain on their systems, and then putting them back outside after being in a warm house is unfair.
Of course in Summer it is fine, but with a temperature difference of more than about 8 degrees they need to stay in one place (inside or outside).

Just to add that if the piggies are living outside you can't really bring them inside for cuddles - sorry.
The temperature changes from outside to inside will put a massive strain on their systems, and then putting them back outside after being in a warm house is unfair.
Of course in Summer it is fine, but with a temperature difference of more than about 8 degrees they need to stay in one place (inside or outside).
Wrap up warm and give them cuddles outside instead!

Back