Bedding!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my guinea pigs seem to be coughing but only when I change the sawdust, we think getting stuck in their wee throat so bedding ideas ? Iv read about puppy pads and fleeces, any recommendations on this?

There is a vey good sticky on bedding in the Housing and Enrichment section .

Sorry, can't do links on the device I am using

There is no ultimate "ideal" bedding, so you have to try and see what fits your specific situation and piggies best.
I use fleece with an absorbent underlay and have done so for five years now.

I use aubiose. It is just a matter of choice. Try a few different ones. I did not get in with fleece. I have also used back2nature but it was expensive for a huge area.

I use snowflake it's a soft wood chip based bedding. Very absorbent, doesn't smell and is dust extracted it is defo doing the job plus I haven't been sneezing as much since I changed to it.

Recommended highly by @BossHogg

[churchilldog]Oh yes! [/churchilldog] :yahoo:

Make sure that there is no dust in the bedding you are currently using, or don't use bedding at all. Fleece or other things could work in a guinea pig cage!

I use fleece with puppy pads underneath and snowflake soft chip in the "hayrooms". I was using megazorb and then fitch but tbh softchip is better and lasts longer. Also been using a different teabag bedding for Bertie's haytray ( didn't want him getting soft chip in his stitches) that I think is much better than fitch - not quite as soft as fitch but seems to work better and lasts longer - I got it from the Poundstretcher Petstore - big bale for 9.99 ( as big as a large bale of fitch) - if they keep selling this I'll probably get more to have on standby for when our farm/pet supply shop is out of softchip.

Homebargains do boxes of puppypads - 40 for 4.99 - works out by far the cheapest puppy pads of all the ones we've tried.

I love Fitch but it is a bit pricey compared to some other beddings unless you can buy it in bulk! :)

If you have a Poundstretcher Petstore nearby try the one they have.

I just google mapped it, we don't have a store near us! :(

How big we're the bags as there is one driving distance but i need to fill up 3 cages with it?

They're the big bales ( the ones that are really difficult to pick up) I would phone the store first and make sure they have the big bags of 9.99 teabag bedding in stock before making the trip.
This is the bale I have, we've used about a third of it,the full bag reached up the to the brown beam in the pic. It's compressed so plenty in there.
bedding.webp

They're the big bales ( the ones that are really difficult to pick up) I would phone the store first and make sure they have the big bags of 9.99 teabag bedding in stock before making the trip.
This is the bale I have, we've used about a third of it,the full bag reached up the to the brown beam in the pic. It's compressed so plenty in there.
View attachment 16801

That's fab, I've still got two bales of Fitch left but it'll run out just before Christmas so might go and have a nose when i get paid on 7th of nov, like you said i'll phone them first though! :)

Is it as good with odor control and things?

Seems to be, obviously I've only been using it in Bertie's hay tray and it's all subjective, the rest still have softchip in their hay houses but my initial impression is that it works well, if I was to continue with teabag bedding it would definitely be this rather than Fitch having now tried both. At the very least it's a good alternative when Fitch is out of stock ( which happened to me a few times - one of the reasons I switched to softchip, a more reliable supplier).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back