Bedding - wood pellets, hay and woodshavings! Views please

• Thread starter Thread starter dougalanddylan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dougalanddylan

I have been using woodshavings and hay from PaH as bedding. (I also use a few pages of my local rag as the first base.) I noticed though that Dylan was sneezing a lot so have switched to wood pellets. He is :Dsneezing less now which is good :)

I was just wondering if there is any good alternative to wood pellets & woodshavings? I don't think wood pellets are very economical but don't mind paying out.

I think the woodshavings from PaH were very fine. Where does everyone get their woodshavings and hay? I have got friends who get theirs in bales from a farm but I think it may be too much for us to store.

I just use newspaper and hay. I used wooden cat litter pellets for ahwile but I think I had an alergy to them. Look at the bedding reviews and you can decided what one you'd like to use.

i have always used woodshavings but recently discovered that MEGAZORB is availble near me (botley, hampshire) £5 per sack

its got a slight bit of a nasty pong (smells like manure) so I'm not going to use it indoors. ive just cleaned out rodney and suet and put it in their hutch today.

what they say about it:
Megazorb: Probably the best bedding on earth
4 x as absorbent as wood shavings
Natural Fibre-Dried wood fibre pulp.
Dust Free & Sterile=Dried and sterilised at temperatures up to 500 degrees celsius killing mould, spores and bacteria, dust extracted twice.
Absorbs odours therefore reducing insect problems.

what it looks like: (actual size)

lolseh said:
Look at the bedding reviews and you can decided what one you'd like to use.

Oh yeah just noticed the reviews! Thank you - I will have a look! :)

I get my shavings from a local shop that sells horse supplies, so I buy a huge bale.

I have started putting a nice thick layer of straw and hay on top of it recently, and its great!

They are popcorning around all the time and burrowing in the straw... and I dont think with a layer of something else on top, that the "dustiness" (which I have never noticed myself) of the woodshavings would still affect the piggies very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back