Bedding questions...does this set up sound ok?

h.h.lovecraft

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am planning on getting two guinea pigs soon. I've had them all my life, but mostly on paper bedding, which isn't a possibility for me anymore because it's too expensive and creates too much waste, so my set up needs to change and I have some questions about it.

My plan is a 143 x 73 cm cage with fleece bedding and a litter box in the food area. I would use fleece on top and washable adult incontinence pads on the bottom. I've read that a towel between those two layers can be helpful as well, but not necessary. I would keep a litter tray filled with guinea pig safe wood stove pellets on one side of the cage. This is where their food bowls, water bottles, and hay would be to make it extra likely that they will use the bathroom there. The cage would be in my small living room right next to the sofa, so I do have concerns about the smell. I could clean the litterbox and spot clean everyday to keep the smell down, but the fleece itself would really have to work for a while, as it would be a little difficult for me to have to wash fleece every 2-3 days. It also seems very popular in my guinea pig group to put bath mats (those noodle looking ones from ikea) under hides and high traffic areas and switch them out more often, which sounds like a good idea.

I have also read that wood stove pellet bedding with fleece on top will stay clean and odor free for one to two months. This seems like a really great option, but I am worried about the dust. I have very bad allergies. I am allergic to guinea pigs already, so I'd like to keep the allergens to a minimal. The pellets do claim to be low dust and I am going to invest in an air purifier/hepa filter, but I'm still not sure about it. The fleece would definitely seem to help with my allergies, but I don't think it's possible for my lifestyle to be doing laundry every two or three days if that would be the case as well.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any bedding tips or tricks. I am leaning towards the fleece bedding with adult washable incontinence pads underneath, as long as they would be able to last at least 5 days, ideally a week. Thanks for the help!

I’ve never heard of wood stove pellets so I’m not sure on those. There is no bedding that can last a month without being changed.

Cleaning the hay tray regularly is a good idea. Every 1-2 days. Wet hay can smell. Fleece can last for five days before changing. Again it depends. You could put bath mats on top and change those out every couple of days. But the fleece would need changing once a week. You should be aware that Guinea pigs will poo and wee everywhere, not just where they eat. They can drop a few as they walk around or when they’re sleeping. They cannot be trained.

With your cage size you will only be able to go for a pair of sows or a neutered boar and sow. It’s not big enough for a pair of boars. They need more space than sows.

Post photos when you bring them home, if you like 😁

I have towel with fleece on top. Then them noodle mats in high traffic areas like the hay racks and where they like to lay down.

I wash the fleece and towels every 3 or 4 days. Without the noodle mats I'd do them every other day as where their hay is gets alot of wee.

If one of them has been in season then they smell and I wash everything the day she comes off season.

Earlier this week one was in season so I had to wash everything early. Then yesterday they decided to do all their wee in one place and it smelled and was wet so again I had to wash early. So sometimes it just depends.

I also hoover up all their poop once a day.

I’ve never heard of wood stove pellets so I’m not sure on those. There is no bedding that can last a month without being changed.

I really thought it sounded like total crap too until I saw multiple people saying they can go up to 8 WEEKS! on the same wood pellets. One guy uploaded a video about it and the cage doesn't look too bad at all to me. He changes the fleece on top once a week and moves the pellets around to pull up some fresh ones as well.

I really thought it sounded like total crap too until I saw multiple people saying they can go up to 8 WEEKS! on the same wood pellets. One guy uploaded a video about it and the cage doesn't look too bad at all to me. He changes the fleece on top once a week and moves the pellets around to pull up some fresh ones as well.
I remember years ago when I was researching bedding seeing people using the wood pellets and then a piece of fleece on top and it always intrigued me. I was trying to find a cost effective way of having bedding for my cage.
I never did try it and I’m not sure how comfortable the pellets would be on the pigs feet before they have broken down a bit.
I think it would only last a long time if your cage was big. But I suppose you could take out the really wet bits and replace and then mix it all.
I’m not sure and still very intrigued!

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on if you do choose to use the pellets. Having worked with horses for over 25 years, I can safely say that they don't work all that well (though I've only seen them used on rare occasion); but I've never seen them used with piggies.

Be careful with what products you choose, as some are treated with different substances. As most bedding types tend to be.

Back