Bedding Query

• Thread starter Thread starter kay8469
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay8469

I can see that there are lots of products, with lots of opinions! I currently have the boys on shavings with hay. Is this acceptable bedding for them (they have the hay in the "house"). Is paper ok to use. I used to have my rabbits (many moons ago) on hay as I was told it groomed them as well as being able to nibble (though I wouldn't like to eat what I'd slept in....).

Any advice on all aspects gratefully received as they are my first two!

Thanks

Just to add, they are housed in a Nero4 - I am assuming that this will be fine for two adults? they will get a chance to run loose in the house every day (and I'm planning on letting them outside in a run when the weather gets warmer).

I would avoid shavings, I know a lot of people do use them but they have been linked to skin, eye and breathing problems. Just hay and paper is a perfectly fine alternative... but if you want something abot more absorbant Russel Rabbit (chopped softened straw) is available from Wilkinsons Stores in small packages and it just as good as shavings but safer. Better still you could try your local horse or farm suppliers and see if they have megazorb or aubiose. I pay about £6 a sack. These are great beddings and a sack will last you a while with two piggys. There are some great reviews at the top of this section where you can find out more about bedings too.

Hope that helps :)

I use newspaper with dust extracted shavings and hay on top. I've also used vet bed which is great and mess free indoors but needs brushing and washing which I found a bit of a nuisance.

Rabbits and guineapigs by the way should have a constant supply of hay - rabbits need hay in their diet to wear their teeth down, not just as bedding :)

I use newspaper with russel rabbit on top or i use newspaper with shredded paper & hay on top of that - the piggies love to burrow in this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back