Bedding options in US

WheekHearted

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I been using kiln dried pine shavings however there seems to be some kind of wood shortage in the US I guess?
It is out of stock, currently unavailable and Amazon doesn’t know when it’ll be back in stock.

what other beddings are suitable?

I love the look of fleece but I don’t like the odor control and the high maintenance of it to be perfectly honest and forthright.

what about aspen?

I know that lumber in general has been much more expensive in the US since the pandemic, but I don't use wood chips so I can't speak on that specifically. If you're looking for disposable bedding I use disposable paper bedding. More specifically a bottom layer of recycled paper pellets and a top layer of softer paper bedding. I use the disposable bedding in their kitchen areas. Their hay is then placed on top of that bedding or in hay bags so most of the waste goes in their kitchen. I spot clean their kitchens daily. (I use fleece with an absorbent liner in the rest of their cage so it's less waste). I attached some pictures of the brands I use. SoPhresh is a brand at Petco. That's what I use for the bottom layer. Then the Oxbow brand goes on top.
Screenshot_20210714-124350_Chrome.webpScreenshot_20210714-124515_Chewy.webp

I know that lumber in general has been much more expensive in the US since the pandemic, but I don't use wood chips so I can't speak on that specifically. If you're looking for disposable bedding I use disposable paper bedding. More specifically a bottom layer of recycled paper pellets and a top layer of softer paper bedding. I use the disposable bedding in their kitchen areas. Their hay is then placed on top of that bedding or in hay bags so most of the waste goes in their kitchen. I spot clean their kitchens daily. (I use fleece with an absorbent liner in the rest of their cage so it's less waste). I attached some pictures of the brands I use. SoPhresh is a brand at Petco. That's what I use for the bottom layer. Then the Oxbow brand goes on top.

I do something very similar to this! Except I mix it about 50:50 in a tote bin and fill the "litter boxes" from that.

I'm in Canada instead of the US, but I use paper beddings (Carefresh or Soft N' Comfy) and really like it. It is more expensive than wood shavings, but the absorption/odor control is a lot better. I used to use aspen shavings for my hedgehogs, but I ended up developing an allergy to it over time, to the point that I had to wear a mask and eye protection cleaning the cage, and I much prefer the paper once I made the switch.

Back