Bedding/ noodle mat

Jen22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently using sawdust for my guinea pigs but read noodle mats with puppy pads under are better for keeping clean. My concern is, my guinea pigs eat everything! (Or try to) What if they start eating the mat? When I get them out they always try and eat the carpet 🤦‍♀️ Is this a bad idea for my piggies? Thanks in advance.

If they are dedicated chewers then noddle mats might not the best bedding. I use newspaper then a deep layer of local farm hay, I buy it by the bale at £5-6

I’ve just moved my two boys onto fleece and noodle mats. They don’t seem too bothered about nibbling them at the moment🤞🏻

Thank you for your replies, think I'll leave it for now. I'm worried they eat it when I'm not there and it makes them ill 🥺

I use puppy pads with hay all over,but this group of piggies do not eat puppypads.
Noddle mats can work well,but if piggies are prone to nibbling them ,I'm not sure.

One of my pigs likes to nibble the tips of noodle mats , she stops quite quickly though as I think she doesn’t like the feeling in her mouth. She also does not do it to smooth fleece, just fluffy or bobbly things.
I think it is down to the individual guinea pigs, it might help to provide them with chew toys that are rotated so they are always interesting.
When I was first moving to fleece I tried it out in one section of the cage first to make sure it worked for me and them.

You should not need anything under the mats, they are absorbent enough
One of mine likes to chew but has no interest in the bath mats

I do use litter trays (with wood shavings) as well though for there hay piles, just makes it easier and one of liners is always half covered by a littler tray so I can rotate it and it lasts longer

Back