bedding - hay AND straw?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so i know piggies need 24/7 access to hay, but should it be timothy hay or medow hay, or a mix of both? also, all you outdoor piggie mums and dads, do you provide them with straw too? recommendations are always welcome, i want only the best for my babies!

A soft meadow hay is perfect to use for bedding.
Timothy hay is fine to put in piles for them to eat but stalky timothy is not suitable bedding - it’s sharp and spiky

My enclosures get filled with lots of meadow hay (which they will obviously eat as well), and then they get a couple of piles of timothy hay for variety

It’s absolutely fine to only give meadow hay though. They don’t need timothy hay

It’s not recommended go use straw as it’s too sharp for piggies

A soft meadow hay is perfect to use for bedding.
Timothy hay is fine to put in piles for them to eat but stalky timothy is not suitable bedding - it’s sharp and spiky

My enclosures get filled with lots of meadow hay (which they will obviously eat as well), and then they get a couple of piles of timothy hay added which they will eat

Straw is too sharp for piggies
brilliant thankyou! does it matter what brand i buy? i’m currently looking at snowflake medow hay and wilko also do a timothy hay they sell £2 for 1kg.

brilliant thankyou! does it matter what brand i buy? i’m currently looking at snowflake medow hay and wilko also do a timothy hay they sell £2 for 1kg.

As long as it’s nice and green, not dusty or musty smelling then any is fine.
You will want quite a lot particularly this time of year as nights are still too cold and certainly in winter to keep them warm.
It can be cheaper to bulk buy if you have storage space.

I personally use Haybox.club as it’s subscription delivery service and supplies the best quality hay I have ever found. I get through 20kg a month (10kg meadow and 10kg soft timothy) particularly in winter when bedding is thicker.

You will want quite a lot particularly this time of year as nights are still too cold and certainly in winter to keep them warm.

I personally use Haybox.club as it’s subscription delivery service and supplies the best quality hay I have ever found. I get through 20kg a month (10kg meadow and 10kg soft timothy) particularly in winter when bedding is thicker.
thankyou!

just purchased some snowflake meadow hay and a few bags of that timothy from wilko to give it a try, might take me a few different brands to try out before i find the perfect one but thats no bother! the reviews actually looked really good so fingers crossed!

just purchased some snowflake meadow hay and a few bags of that timothy from wilko to give it a try, might take me a few different brands to try out before i find the perfect one but thats no bother! the reviews actually looked really good so fingers crossed!

Definitely - it can take a while until you find one you like! Ive used pet shop meadow hay for 30 years until discovering Haybox a few years ago - won’t buy anything else now! (In fact the piggies and bunnies wouldn’t let me buy anything else now!)

Definitely - it can take a while until you find one you like! Ive used pet shop meadow hay for 30 years until discovering Haybox a few years ago - won’t buy anything else now! (In fact the piggies and bunnies wouldn’t let me buy anything else now!)
haha bless them!

I get my hay from the Alpaca Farm down the road. Before that I got it from the local farm shop. It's lovely soft meadow hay and is £6 for a big farm bale. I store it in a haybale bag in the garage where my piggies are kept. I have never used straw as its to stalky. They go to the Boarders when we are on holiday and I have to remind her that they don't have straw. She boards rabbits too so occasionally forgets.

I get my hay from the Alpaca Farm down the road. Before that I got it from the local farm shop. It's lovely soft meadow hay and is £6 for a big farm bale. I store it in a haybale bag in the garage where my piggies are kept. I have never used straw as its to stalky. They go to the Boarders when we are on holiday and I have to remind her that they don't have straw. She boards rabbits too so occasionally forgets.
thankyou! we used to use straw for our piggies as didn’t realise it wasn’t recommended!

Back