Bedding For Guineas

Status
Not open for further replies.

theresadennis

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there have recently joined the group Am having my first problems with mites and lice, although have kept rescue piggies for 9 years. Am considering alternative bedding and just using bagged good quality hay for food/teeth. Any advice would be appreciated on mites /lice /bedding - using Xeno 450 for the bugs. Theresa

I also use Gorgeous Guineas Lice and Easy Shampoo (wonder where they got that name from). There's lots of different types of bedding. Vetbed or Fleece on top of old towels which can all be washed thus eliminating lice etc. A lot of people still use shaving which are not now recommended for piggies but you can use similar alternatives such as Auboise made from the core of the hemp plant. There is also Bliss or Raviera which are both produced from the straw of oil seed rape. I put a layer of hay on top & are currently using Bliss.

Thanks for that - I was thinking of towels or fleece. I was unaware of the problems of shavings though, I use Snowflake unscented as it's dust extracted and absorbent. I think that the bales of hay I have may have brought the mites and lice in. I have 9 boars - Fred and Floyd, Basil and Edward, Dudley and very naughty Rupert (in pic), and elderly Arthur with babies Henry and Boris :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back