Bedding Alternative to Aubiose

Guinea Slave

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to see if anyone has any alternative ideas for bedding?

I have a substantial 35 sq foot cage for my 4 guineas. I’ve used Megazorb in the past but found it very dusty. I usually use Aubiose but one of my guineas seems to get sore eyes with it and is possibly slightly allergic, it also makes me cough. In the past I have used Medibed and loved it but it seems to be discontinued and similar products have natural oils added…which I don’t think is ideal!

I’ve tried Fitch and loved it but it’s incredibly expensive for that size run.

Any other ideas!? I’ve looked but can’t seem to find anything and I would really far rather not use Megazorb if possible.

I use snowflake softchip - 20kg bales - and love it!
That’s interesting thank you. What’s the difference between softchip and soft chip plus? Is it the smell? Which one do you use? I was always warned off shavings for guineas but that was years ago so perhaps things have changed. I’ve seen it in the farm shop so perhaps I’ll try some.

That’s interesting thank you. What’s the difference between softchip and soft chip plus? Is it the smell? Which one do you use? I was always warned off shavings for guineas but that was years ago so perhaps things have changed. I’ve seen it in the farm shop so perhaps I’ll try some.

I’ve not seen softchip plus - it’s the softchip I use and I get on well with it. Spot cleans really easily and there are times I don’t even need to remove it all at a cage clean.
They aren’t shavings as such - they are small but heavy chips of wood.
Ive used traditional shavings (get through them too quickly, lightweight and blow around); aubiose and megazorb - like them both but the price of aubiose is a lot more than softchip.

I’ve not seen softchip plus - it’s the softchip I use and I get on well with it. Spot cleans really easily and there are times I don’t even need to remove it all at a cage clean.
They aren’t shavings as such - they are small but heavy chips of wood.
Ive used traditional shavings (get through them too quickly, lightweight and blow around); aubiose and megazorb - like them both but the price of aubiose is a lot more than softchip.
Thank you, that’s really helpful!

I've used Kaytee clean and cosy in the past which was great - but it may work out a bit expensive for a cage that size!

Softchip plus has kiln dried shavings,and chips in it.its 50/50 mix.
Easibed is similar to soft chip.
I use raviera bedding ,basic bliss, swish bedding.rapeseed bedding similar to aubiose.
I hope you find something suitable.

Softchip plus has kiln dried shavings,and chips in it.its 50/50 mix.
Easibed is similar to soft chip.
I use raviera bedding ,basic bliss, swish bedding.rapeseed bedding similar to aubiose.
I hope you find something suitable.
That’s interesting I was looking at Raviera, I think these may be suitable alternatives. So many what look like suitable bedding options add ‘essential oils’ which is very annoying! It’s more difficult than I thought. My main concern is my beautiful sow Posh who just seems to react to Aubiose. I guess I need to experiment.

Back