? Bedding Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda Jarvie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
we have 2 five month old female guinea pigs who currently are housed outside in a hutch in a shed. They are due to come inside for the winter & we have a new inside cage for them. Recently i have noticed their bottoms seem to be wet nearly all the time, they seem to be quite smelly too, we are grooming them daily to avoid mats (they are medium long haired) but what bedding can i change them to to avoid this? We currently use newspaper & hay. Any advice would be great.

@Linda Jarvie Hello, Welcome to the forum, sorry we missed your post last night.

Here is a link to our bedding overview, it gives you good ideas for bedding and the pro's and con's of each one http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/

What are your piggies names? Be great to see some photos of them. Oh, one other thing, could you add your location to your profile - this just helps us tailor any advice to your location

Welcome once again Lee

Welcome to the forum

newspaper and/or hay don't wick moisture away - this may be your problem.

the thread sport_billy has posted is very good and should give you ideas of alternatives

we have 2 five month old female guinea pigs who currently are housed outside in a hutch in a shed. They are due to come inside for the winter & we have a new inside cage for them. Recently i have noticed their bottoms seem to be wet nearly all the time, they seem to be quite smelly too, we are grooming them daily to avoid mats (they are medium long haired) but what bedding can i change them to to avoid this? We currently use newspaper & hay. Any advice would be great.

Please have your girls checked for UTI (urinary tract infection), which crops up typically in spring and autumn when the daily temperature differences are greatest.

@Linda Jarvie Hello, Welcome to the forum, sorry we missed your post last night.

Here is a link to our bedding overview, it gives you good ideas for bedding and the pro's and con's of each one http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/

What are your piggies names? Be great to see some photos of them. Oh, one other thing, could you add your location to your profile - this just helps us tailor any advice to your location

Welcome once again Lee

Thank you for your welcome!
The piggies belong to my 11 year old daughter but I'm in love with them as much as she is! They are called Phoebe & Belle, very cute.
Thank you for the advice, I'm away to read up on this. We only want the best for them.
What a great site.

and strangely enough , my sow ( Bess) is currently on a course of antibiotics as she had a wet, smelly bottom and I suspect she had a urine infection.Thanks for the advice
@Wiebke

I'm considering vetbed for smokey BUT he is a long haired Peruvian piggie. Is that ok for him or will he be too hot on it all day? x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back