bedding advice needed

• Thread starter Thread starter dreams
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dreams

hello everyone.
being as my piggies are going to be indoors should i put all sawdust on the bottom or have sawdust on the bottom with the special paper bedding for their?

Thanks, Louise :)

Hi,
I've heard that Sawdust dries out their skin and can cause skin problems so it's probably best not to use that at all. For my indoor piggies I use newspaper on the bottom of the cage and soft tissue like paper for their bedding in their sleeping areas.http://www.jandmproducts.co.uk/

Hope this helps
Samm

Sawdust is a major irritant to piggies, they're a burrowing animal and it can afect their eyes and nose.

I personally use lots of newspaper - which my piggies eat to their hearts content - and then also give them hay which they love snuggling into. I fluff up their hay and they charge straight into the middle of it and start eating it from the inside out. They actually look so sweet curled up asleep in the hay, and its good for them - although you do need to keep topping it up every few days because they eat it very quickly.

I use Aubiose and another good produt is called megazorb- if you call equine suppliers or agricultural suppliers in the phonebook you will probably find someone who stocks it. There are reviews of all these beddings as stickys at the top of this section.

hope you dont mind me butting in i use wood shavings for gizmo does this dry his feet out i noticed yesterday they were quite red

Bouncy_piggle said:
Sawdust is a major irritant to piggies, they're a burrowing animal and it can afect their eyes and nose.

I personally use lots of newspaper - which my piggies eat to their hearts content - and then also give them hay which they love snuggling into. I fluff up their hay and they charge straight into the middle of it and start eating it from the inside out. They actually look so sweet curled up asleep in the hay, and its good for them - although you do need to keep topping it up every few days because they eat it very quickly.

Do you find the hay easy to clean out? Do you mind me asking about your cleaning routine?
We try to spot clean daily but am unsure whether we'd be better replacing all the hay every couple of days - the poop seems to get 'embedded' in the hay.

I find that my piggies eat most of the hay so I end up topping it up more regularly than cleaning them out. I suppose it depends how many piggies are in the hutch - I've got two in mine and they get through a fair bit of hay but it's good for their digestive system so I don't mind how much hay they eat.

I find it easier just to roll the remaining hay (and there's not much left) up in the newspaper when I clean them out. I clean out their bedding area every few days which is probably where most hay will be left, and then once a week I'll replace everything in their hutch with fresh newspaper and hay.

In my opinion it depends how easy it is for you to get hay and how expensive it is but I've found its the cheapest option which works for me. It also depends how much your piggies eat of the hay as to whether you should replace their hay every few days or just top it up. I mean if they don't eat much of it then it may be worth replacing it because obviously they'll make the hay quite dirty and mucky.

My advice would be to experiment with their bedding and find out what works best for your piggies, after all each pig is unique - what works for my piggies may not work for yours.

:) let me know how you get on.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I did intend to use to the paper bedding as i use it for the hamsters and it cn be used for piggies.
I think i ill try paper then i can clean it out everyday.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back