Baths!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsize9fot

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I have my Guineas their first bath and haircut. Bath wasn't too bad. Haircut a bit traumatic for us all. The squeeling!

Anyway- brought the Guineas our and dried them off with towel and hairdryer. But I noticed a funny smell coming from them. Is this normal? I wondered if it might be like dogs when they're wet they smell a bit odd. It was kind of like a hay smell but not overly pleasant.

I the they might need bathed a lot as their bums keep getting wet (long hair). I'm experimenting with different bedding to try and get round this.

Today I have my Guineas their first bath and haircut. Bath wasn't too bad. Haircut a bit traumatic for us all. The squeeling!

Anyway- brought the Guineas our and dried them off with towel and hairdryer. But I noticed a funny smell coming from them. Is this normal? I wondered if it might be like dogs when they're wet they smell a bit odd. It was kind of like a hay smell but not overly pleasant.

I the they might need bathed a lot as their bums keep getting wet (long hair). I'm experimenting with different bedding to try and get round this.

Glad that all has gone well. Please be careful when drying; you need to have the dryer on the lawest setting and hold it at a distance.

Please also be careful with not bathing too often; bathing and drying are not at all good for the delicate guinea pig skin. The more you wash, the more you (over)stimulate the grease gland. Your piggies will also feel the need to mark each other to restore their group smell, and therefore their identity. Boars have a boarly smell of eau-de-testosterone; their bits can get very smelly...
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
How To Bathe Guinea Pigs - Including Ears & Grease Glands

The best thing to do is to keep the hairs at the back and sides short, around the genitalia and legs cut short; that cuts down on the soiling and matting. If it is really bad, then give your boys a gentle bum bath with hand warm water and gently cut the worst affected hairs off without pulling on them.

I find that fleece is the best bedding for my long-haired indoors piggies.
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

The dodgy smell has subsided. I think it was wet fur! The fur trim has made a big difference with the wet bums so hopefully any bathing will be to a minimum for my sake as much as theirs! Mine's are girls but I dont think theyd had a bath before. One looks a completely different colour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back