Bathing

EmilyC

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Just looking for advice on how people bath their Guinea pigs?

What shampoo’s etc

Thank you

Emily

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

My advice would be only bath guinea pigs if absolutely necessary. Out of my 5 pigs only 3 of them have ever had a bath. 2 because of lice and 1 because he stinks and is covered in wee a lot :)) I think I may have to bath him twice a year.

The best shampoo is Gorgeous Guineas, they've got a lovely range of super natural shampoos designed for pigs. Chrissy (who makes the shampoo) has always been very kind when I've contacted her in the past for advice on which to use :)

Hello @EmilyC Welcome to the forum!

Excellent advice as usual from @Cavy Kung-Fu

How many piggies do you have? Be lovely to see some photos of them

Thank you. I've been told about Gorgeous Guineas before so I will take a look :)

Are there any good guinea brushes out there ? x

Awwwwww :love: they are lovely! I do hope we see more of them.... there is a photos section here you know :)) *hint*

Who is whom?

Old thread on brushes her for you Guinea pig brushes

my advice would be with the long hair piggy :drool: keep their bum fur trimmed short this will prevent matting from wee etc....

Sorry still getting to know my way around.

Acorn is the long haired :) x

Ordered Manuka & Neem Shampoo, Coconeem melt and F &M Ointment :D from Gorgeous Guineas.

Wow my piggies will be smelling so nice

Why bath? Have you ever seen the white fluid that they produce from the eyes? That is said to be a naturally occurring lanolin, the pigs will wipe this on to there front paurs and brush maticulesly brush it into there hair , providing them with a natural isulation! And provides it with its own unique smell! And sense of identity!
Whashing the pig strips away all the pigs hard work, and sence of identity, that can't be duplicated by all the potions and lotions!
Apart from the ocasanal bum wash that l have to give a little torty (tottycarlas) sow, None of my pigs have ever been bathed

Your piggies are lovely! I have ever only bathed my guinea pigs prob 3 times in nearly 3 years when they had ringworm and needed special treatment shampoo.. they didn't enjoy it much so I don't think I will bath them again unless absolutely necessary... I found a nice little soft brush that fits on your finger .. can't remember where it was from tho now!

i trim my longhaired piggies every month,and bath them every 3 months .i use Johnsons small animal shampoo,sometimes flea or die,and posh and go !

i trim my longhaired piggies every month,and bath them every 3 months .i use Johnsons small animal shampoo,sometimes flea or die,and posh and go !

Is the Johnsons one okay? It always put me off that it says "use gloves/eye protection when using" on the back. That's why I only use Gorgeous Guineas now.

i use the incecticidal shampoo,ive not worn gloves or eye protection,ive got 23 guinea pigs and all seem to be fine with this.the other flea or die from amazon i find is nice,,it is a herbal based shampoo.

Are there any good guinea brushes out there ? x
I use a porcupine brush on Betsy I got it from The Range it looks like this.
Porcupine Brush.webp

She's still not keen on being brushed but she fell out big time with the comb. She needs brushing though as she has long fur. I try and do it at least twice a week if she'll let me. She goes to the Salon (gets plonked on top of the ironing board on an old newspaper with something nice usually kale or coriander to bribe her and keep her still) every 2-3 months for a very fashionable wedge cut around her bum. In the summer when its really hot she gets a grade 4 all over.

Here is Betsy.
Betsy and a Kale Hate.webp

I use a porcupine brush on Betsy I got it from The Range it looks like this.
View attachment 78432

She's still not keen on being brushed but she fell out big time with the comb. She needs brushing though as she has long fur. I try and do it at least twice a week if she'll let me. She goes to the Salon (gets plonked on top of the ironing board on an old newspaper with something nice usually kale or coriander to bribe her and keep her still) every 2-3 months for a very fashionable wedge cut around her bum. In the summer when its really hot she gets a grade 4 all over.

Here is Betsy.
View attachment 78433

Cute veggie crown there, and I see Dennis sheepishly peeping in...no Dennis those veggies are for the lovely Betsy!

Hello, I have just read through the advice and was also wondering about waterless shampoos? I’m guessing these can be rubbed on and not rinsed? Has anyone tried or wouldn’t recommend these? My boys are slowly coming round to weekly checks of the teeth/bottom and nail clipping but I worry a bath (they can smell and have long hair which I trim but I think a scrub would help now and again) would be too much.
Thank you :)

you have such wonderful piggies!
But I would not use Johnson shampoo although very long ago I used that product for my piggie and also for my little daughters. Actually its components are not at all good and now it is not even recommended by paediatrician doctors.
I have three piggies, two longhaired and one shorthaired. The one with short hair does not need any bath and I only wash his but and his feet once in a while. He often walks on the poo...
The sows with a long hair absolutely need a bath once a month (or two months), especially one of them. The water comes out totally dark brown and their hair of the belly becomes easily dirty and stuck with the wee.
I use a normal shampoo for newborns, it is not a famous and expensive brand; actually it is very cheap, but I have checked all its ingredients online and they result absolutely safe (there are no parabens, no PEG too; parabens have an effect on the hormonal balance). It is the same product we all use at home.
There is no rule for deciding how often a pet (and a child) needs a bath: of course he needs to be washed if and when he is dirty and smelly... bacteria of the wee and the poo in contact with the fur and the skin can cause irritation and infection, as it also happens to our skin who needs a careful hygiene. But if you wash your piggie and the water comes out clean, that has been a wrong bath...
Moreover, the wee in contact with the long fur make it become arid and "burnt" and then you would need a scissor. A good hygiene with a good natural product let the fur bright, healthy, soft and without any knots (I never brush my piggies because they hate the brush)
100_8353.webp
Use your good sense, have a careful glance at the shelters of supermarkets or visit a shop for natural products and you will not be wrong :nod:
This below is the INCI (ingredients) of the famous Johnson Baby Shampoo. In yellow there are suspicious substances, in red toxic substances...
johnson.pdf

This below is the INCI of the cheap product I am using:
gently.pdf
I hope the PDF files work...

Attachments

you have such wonderful piggies!
But I would not use Johnson shampoo although very long ago I used that product for my piggie and also for my little daughters. Actually its components are not at all good and now it is not even recommended by paediatrician doctors.
I have three piggies, two longhaired and one shorthaired. The one with short hair does not need any bath and I only wash his but and his feet once in a while. He often walks on the poo...
The sows with a long hair absolutely need a bath once a month (or two months), especially one of them. The water comes out totally dark brown and their hair of the belly becomes easily dirty and stuck with the wee.
I use a normal shampoo for newborns, it is not a famous and expensive brand; actually it is very cheap, but I have checked all its ingredients online and they result absolutely safe (there are no parabens, no PEG too; parabens have an effect on the hormonal balance). It is the same product we all use at home.
There is no rule for deciding how often a pet (and a child) needs a bath: of course he needs to be washed if and when he is dirty and smelly... bacteria of the wee and the poo in contact with the fur and the skin can cause irritation and infection, as it also happens to our skin who needs a careful hygiene. But if you wash your piggie and the water comes out clean, that has been a wrong bath...
Moreover, the wee in contact with the long fur make it become arid and "burnt" and then you would need a scissor. A good hygiene with a good natural product let the fur bright, healthy, soft and without any knots (I never brush my piggies because they hate the brush)
View attachment 79652
Use your good sense, have a careful glance at the shelters of supermarkets or visit a shop for natural products and you will not be wrong :nod:
This below is the INCI (ingredients) of the famous Johnson Baby Shampoo. In yellow there are suspicious substances, in red toxic substances...
johnson.pdf

This below is the INCI of the cheap product I am using:
gently.pdf
I hope the PDF files work...

I think there might be some confusion here. There is a specific small animal shampoo sold in the UK manufactured by a company called Johnson's. They do a small pet shampoo and also an insecticidal shampoo. It's not the same as the human baby shampoo product which you are referring to.

I think there might be some confusion here. There is a specific small animal shampoo sold in the UK manufactured by a company called Johnson's. They do a small pet shampoo and also an insecticidal shampoo. It's not the same as the human baby shampoo product which you are referring to.
you are right and I have understood the misunderstanding re reading the posts. I was talking of Baby Shampoo Johnson which here was used in the past also for the pets and now is not recommended even for children. I actually copied a chart from the net, which contained the picture of the shampoo, but then I had to use the option PDF because the upload was not possible...
Anyway, there are on sale some good and unknown products, not specific for piggies (we also have a lady who produces a famous and expensive natural product, similar to yours) which work amazingly, too. It is not necessary to waste money in expensive products, I guess.

Of course these are only simple detergents and an abuse would be wrong, too, as the piggies need to have their personal smell.

Back