Bathing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hops_in_Heaven

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm still very new to the forum and owning piggies in general. But in my guinea pig care research, I've come across some bathing guinea pigs tips, and read that it should be done infrequently. I would like more details regarding this 'infrequently' bit.

My adult piggies, Bliss, Cuddles and Frolic are pretty clean. They always groom, and always smell nice. They never seem to need baths. When I got Frolic, she smelled bad, but her previous owner preferred wood shavings bedding, and it didn't look like this person changed the bedding as often as she should. Plus there were way too many pigs for her tiny cage. I figured sitting in soiled bedding for too long would cause Frolic to smell bad, and that being in my much larger and much cleaner cage would fix that. I left her alone, and now she smells nice.

The other day, the piggies managed to dig under the fleece. Bliss peed and then sat in her urine, causing her white (with a brown spot) rump to become yellow. I wondered if I should clean her rump, but when I checked a few hours later, she was clean.

So it seems to me like my pigs can pretty much take care of their cleanliness themselves. Should I forego baths altogether? Or would it be beneficial for them to be bathed even when they don't seem to need it? But it is really stressful... What do you guys think/know about this?

Here's a bonus question! Frolic's daughter, Tickles, who was born on May 30, is finally using the bathroom on her own. I've noticed her stash of super small poops. Since she has a white body, I can see that she has yellow fur from her urine. It's been like that for at least two days. Maybe she doesn't know how to clean herself there? Should I do it for her? But if I do will that stop her from learning herself? If I leave her alone, will she imitate the others and clean herself?

Honestly, I don't do baths unless there is a reason (fungal skin problems, actual wet/soaked fur, or overactive grease gland.) And even then I really just clean the area in question. The pigs I've had to bathe certainly didn't enjoy the experience, it is hard to get them dry (they have a lot of fur and because they are little it is unsafe to towel-dry them aggressively the way you would a dog.) I've found I preferred to just clip the longer-haired pigs to keep the fur on the hind end from trailing on the ground and getting filthy. Pigs with white fur may get it stained from food or urine, but if it isn't bothering them (i.e. isn't actively wet) I don't wash them. Any color tends to wear off anyhow without requiring a bath (Sundae stains her face green every time she has spinach, but it wears off within a few hours.)

My piggies both had a bath because my long haired one had some pee/poo stains on his fur. I only bathed his back side and didn't go anywhere near his face/head and they hated it. However I had little/no issues getting them dry. I gave them some gentle towel rubbing and then sat them under a heat lamp with some watery veg to keep them hydrated. I also did trim his fur and since keeping his backside and belly hair short he's stayed a lot cleaner. If you don't need to bathe your pigs then don't, if there's a particular place they aren't cleaning try a wash cloth and a gentle scrub before resorting to a full bath

My two babys have the same problem. i just use Johnson's GP shampoo and wash their bums most weekends.

i had to bath stan and benson last summer as their grease glands had been a little neglected (oops!) after letting the swarfega do its job, i put each of them in a wash hand basin and i have to say they loved it! They also seemed to enjoy the hairdryer too. only benson is left now. I haven't bathed him since as he hasn't needed it, but it might not necessarily be a thing to dread trying if your pig really does need it. Some pigs do seem to enjoy it!

i had to bath stan and benson last summer as their grease glands had been a little neglected (oops!) after letting the swarfega do its job, i put each of them in a wash hand basin and i have to say they loved it! They also seemed to enjoy the hairdryer too. only benson is left now. I haven't bathed him since as he hasn't needed it, but it might not necessarily be a thing to dread trying if your pig really does need it. Some pigs do seem to enjoy it!

Hello, my long hair has been left in her previous home and she has a very yellow belly, I haven't had her long but she can be handled quite easily now. I think it's best if I wash her because she is quite smelly! How do you bathe them? What water temperature? etc.

Hiya, well all i did was put some water in a wash hand basin. It must be shallow enough for the pig to have its feet touching the bottom of the basin. Pigs hate being out of their depth.

I just did the water temperature like you would for a newborn baby. Just gently warm. I had a towel on standby ready. I just swished some johnsons baby shampoo into the water.

Then gently lowered my pig in and voila! He seemed very relaxed in there. A gentle wash and then i re filled for a rinse.

I wrapped him up in the towel and then carefully blow dried on a gentle slow and low heat setting. that was it really. I think there are demos on you tube if you're still unsure.

Good luck!

Hiya, well all i did was put some water in a wash hand basin. It must be shallow enough for the pig to have its feet touching the bottom of the basin. Pigs hate being out of their depth.

I just did the water temperature like you would for a newborn baby. Just gently warm. I had a towel on standby ready. I just swished some johnsons baby shampoo into the water.

Then gently lowered my pig in and voila! He seemed very relaxed in there. A gentle wash and then i re filled for a rinse.

I wrapped him up in the towel and then carefully blow dried on a gentle slow and low heat setting. that was it really. I think there are demos on you tube if you're still unsure.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will definately use this advice! I don't think she needs a full bath, just her rear and belly. So fingers crossed it all goes well!

I had the same issue with my long haired piggy. His butt and belly hairs were dirty. Despite using a pet shampoo he hated being scrubbed and though it helped remove some of the dirt it was trimming his long hair that really did the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back