Bathing Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs P

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 rescue piggies which we've had 5 weeks now. Our male (Harvey) is a sheltie so has long hair, the girls are short haired. Harvey could do with a bath, but my question is should I bath them all together or just Harvey? Their foster carer recommended that they should always be bathed together. Has anyone get any advice? Thanks x

Hey long time no see! How is everything?

As for bathing does his whole body need a bath? I tend to give my chewy bum/belly baths only and on his own I don't know how I would cope bathing 3 at the same time? I think she may have meant if your giving 1 a full bath then do them all (seperate) as the scents change and it can cause squabbles! Xx

If mine are bathed which is not often (short haired). Then they all get one..BUT I do them one at a time in the same day. I get the run out and put the "bathed" one in the run and add to that.
Then when everyone is done they go back to the cleaned out cage together so dirty and clean pigs are not mixed.

I would bathe them one at a time as it's a lot easier to manage rather than having to keep an eye on all 3:P

Hey long time no see! How is everything?

As for bathing does his whole body need a bath? I tend to give my chewy bum/belly baths only and on his own I don't know how I would cope bathing 3 at the same time? I think she may have meant if your giving 1 a full bath then do them all (seperate) as the scents change and it can cause squabbles! Xx

@Anarchybmc hi! All good here thanks, piggies settling in nicely. How are your things with you?

The thought of bathing all 3 does terrify me! I'm presuming she did mean about the change in scents so could do them at the same time but separately - think I may have to have some assistance :) Harvey could probably get away with a bum/belly bath but wondered if he'd be better with a full bath as he's long haired. Thanks for your advice xx

@Anarchybmc hi! All good here thanks, piggies settling in nicely. How are your things with you?

The thought of bathing all 3 does terrify me! I'm presuming she did mean about the change in scents so could do them at the same time but separately - think I may have to have some assistance :) Harvey could probably get away with a bum/belly bath but wondered if he'd be better with a full bath as he's long haired. Thanks for your advice xx

All is really good here thanks, I'm now mommy to 8 piggies :D
I was only thinking about you the other day wondering how your getting on with those gorgeous piggies of yours! Any more pics?

I have chewy see pics attached his long haired but I have never given him a full bath I find bum/belly baths are enough for him so far but if you want to give Harvey a full bath then here's what i do - I have 1 basin with about 1 inch of water and a flannel in and another basin with warm water and a jug to rinse. Always have plenty of towels around as drying piggies takes forever :nod: if you find that he is getting upset and trying to escape lift him out of the water as this tends to settle them, my Bertie and Marley hate sitting in water (they came with lice) so I lift them out with one hand supporting them partially on my wrist and the other is free to wash. A damp flannel is best for the face don't put shampoo directly on their face, if he needs it then just the foam from the rest of the body is enough. When you lift them out wrap them tight ish in a towel and cuddle them for around 5 minutes, change to a dry towel and start rubbing gently to get him dry! Hope I've helped Xx

image.webp

image.webp

image.webp

Chewy is such a little fluffball!

Our newest could use a bum bath but I dread it as I have no idea how he is going to like this. I'll let him settle in a few more days before I subject him to the horror of having a clean derrière.

Chewy is such a little fluffball!

Our newest could use a bum bath but I dread it as I have no idea how he is going to like this. I'll let him settle in a few more days before I subject him to the horror of having a clean derrière.

He has longer hair than I do! I don't mind bum baths so much, but full baths ugh I detest those! To be fair I've only done full baths with the foster piggies who are now mine cus they had lice and Oakley had one because he had xeno treatment so I gave him one to ease his skin alittle. But I feel your pain lol xx

All is really good here thanks, I'm now mommy to 8 piggies :D
I was only thinking about you the other day wondering how your getting on with those gorgeous piggies of yours! Any more pics?

I have chewy see pics attached his long haired but I have never given him a full bath I find bum/belly baths are enough for him so far but if you want to give Harvey a full bath then here's what i do - I have 1 basin with about 1 inch of water and a flannel in and another basin with warm water and a jug to rinse. Always have plenty of towels around as drying piggies takes forever :nod: if you find that he is getting upset and trying to escape lift him out of the water as this tends to settle them, my Bertie and Marley hate sitting in water (they came with lice) so I lift them out with one hand supporting them partially on my wrist and the other is free to wash. A damp flannel is best for the face don't put shampoo directly on their face, if he needs it then just the foam from the rest of the body is enough. When you lift them out wrap them tight ish in a towel and cuddle them for around 5 minutes, change to a dry towel and start rubbing gently to get him dry! Hope I've helped Xx

View attachment 51142

View attachment 51143

View attachment 51144

Wow, 8? That must keep you busy! I need to take some updated pics now they're more settled - Lily is still quite nervous but Harvey and Lola are much more confident (Lola is definitely the boss!).

Chewy is sooo cute! Like a Little fluff ball bless him. Thank you so much, that's really helpful. Think I might just go with a bum and belly bath with them all and see how they get on. Harvey is due another trim so might do it at the same time - will be easier to cut his hair when it's wet. Think I'm going to but the bowl in the bath just in case they try and leap out and put a towel in the bath too. Will rope in hubby and son I think - will let you know how we get on! Thanks for the advice xx

Wow, 8? That must keep you busy! I need to take some updated pics now they're more settled - Lily is still quite nervous but Harvey and Lola are much more confident (Lola is definitely the boss!).

Chewy is sooo cute! Like a Little fluff ball bless him. Thank you so much, that's really helpful. Think I might just go with a bum and belly bath with them all and see how they get on. Harvey is due another trim so might do it at the same time - will be easier to cut his hair when it's wet. Think I'm going to but the bowl in the bath just in case they try and leap out and put a towel in the bath too. Will rope in hubby and son I think - will let you know how we get on! Thanks for the advice xx

Yeah they keep me busy but they are worth it! I would love to see updated pics of your piggies :) glad I could be of some help, I do find that giving chewy a bum bath and a trim works well I look forward to hear how it goes!xx

I've bathed one pig only and never had a problem introducing them back again (which I believe is some of the logic in bathing them together- so they all smell the same.) I tend to try to bath as minimally as I can, really only the part that needs it. I have a doll bathtub from when my kids were younger- I tend to stand the pig in there with water up to belly level and use a small cup to rinse. I have had sheltie crosses over the years and try to bath minimally (they take so long to dry!) I do give haircuts on the hind end to keep the fur off the ground and that seems to diminish the need to bathe as often. Actually, the one who gets all the baths is my short-haired pig... she has chronic bladder issues that sometimes leads to leakage in her old age and has also had a few fungal skin infections over the years. Again, I tend to bathe only the affected area that needs to be washed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back