Bathing Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavyhappy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, both my guinea pigs absolutely HATE being bathed! It is really hard for me to bath them, to the point where I have to wash them in my bathers, because they'll run up out of the sink/bucket, and hide on my shoulder in my hair, leaving claw marks all over me. I have tried bathing them in a bucket and a sink and holding them with my hand underneath them to reassure them that they're safe... it's crazy what they'll do to get out of having a bath. Does anyone have any tips that might help make bath-time a bit easier?:help:

Last edited:
We don't bath unless we have too. Treacy used to have a very active Grease Gland for a girl so we just used to sponge bath her bottom. Baths stress ours out so I try to avoid unless a medical reason. So sorry no tips apart from bath only if needed. Someone may have some pointers though hopefully

Thanks, true, it's mainly the smell that gets to me.

Can you just use a wipe to freshen them up rather than a full on bath?

Do you have a hooman bath you can put them in with a towel on the bottom to stop them slipping - they will find it harder to climb out of

If you put them in the bath they are happier as they can move freely. I pour water on them gently from a cup so it is not too stressful. There is no way they can get out of the bath so it is safer then a sink.

Yes, I agree, I tried a bath once (the first time), do you sit in there with them or do you lean in from the side?

Yeah, that might have sounded weird, but I was just wondering

I did the mistake of trying to bath five guinea pigs together in the kitchen sink. Water everywhere! Maple kept jumping out, Rambo was protesting loudly the others just pooped themselves!
So a sink no... try the bath :D That's my next venture they won't be able to escape as easily plus I have some new shampoo on the way so they will smell lovely too :D the Piggies don't know I'm planning a bath. Mainly because Rambo and Patch have white fur and yellow tends to show more easily...

What I do is put them in the human bath tub in a large bowl. They can hop out of the tub and then into the bath so either way they still get water.

If they are panicking a tip I started to do and do every time I bathe the boys is put my hand in with them where their front feet are and hold my hand up slightly. This elevates their front body somewhat and they don't feel panic like they are drowning as they are resting on mummy's hand. This has calmed every single piggie I have ever owned and bathed. :)

I did the mistake of trying to bath five guinea pigs together in the kitchen sink. Water everywhere! Maple kept jumping out, Rambo was protesting loudly the others just pooped themselves!
So a sink no... try the bath :D That's my next venture they won't be able to escape as easily plus I have some new shampoo on the way so they will smell lovely too :D the Piggies don't know I'm planning a bath. Mainly because Rambo and Patch have white fur and yellow tends to show more easily...
5! That's hilarious, I've never dared even to bath my 2 together!

What I do is put them in the human bath tub in a large bowl. They can hop out of the tub and then into the bath so either way they still get water.

If they are panicking a tip I started to do and do every time I bathe the boys is put my hand in with them where their front feet are and hold my hand up slightly. This elevates their front body somewhat and they don't feel panic like they are drowning as they are resting on mummy's hand. This has calmed every single piggie I have ever owned and bathed. :)
Thanks, that's a great tip, will try that

Haha right. You don't want to over wash them. I have to bath all four of mine tomorrow. One at a time of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back