• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bathing Boars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I plan to give my 5 boys a bath tomorrow, I have done it before but not very well as they get grumpy and start trying to bite me and when I try to dry them they start nibbling the towel in a sort of rage lol.

So I have some questions:
1. Where is the best place to bath them? I usually do it in the bath, but they run up and down trying to get away from me, would I be best doing it in the kitchen sink?
2. How deep should the water be?
3. Should I bath them one at a time, or can I put two in together?
4. Can I use a hair dryer to dry them?
5. and finally, because they are boars, should I pay closer attention to their bum area? i.e grease gland.

all help would be great.
jenn x

Well, just answering on my own experiences...
1) I bath mine in the bathroom sink, I know people use the kitchen sink too
2) I have it about 1-2 inch, not very deep, I use the shower mainly to rinse them off though
3) I bathed mine one at a time, but that's just because Pepper is very skittish and Beauty doesn't really like being held either, but suprisingly Pepper was very good in the bath and Beauty wasn't. I wouldn't trust myself to bath them at the same time, but I know peope do it.
4) Yep, I towel dry them first then use the hairdryer, otherwise they would never be dry
5) I think you have to clean the grease gland, I've heard of something being recommended before...however, when I bathed mine (boars also) I just made sure I used a bit more shampoo round there and it worked okay, well, I assume it was better than nothing.

No idea if I helped or not but hey :P

Well I use the kitchen sink. I rinse with a little water then rub in soap all over whilst they are sat on a towel (not the face) then I use the mixer tap to rinse off (checking its the right temp) then a wrap them in a towel and give them a treat of some kind to nibble on while they calm down then I rub them dry as much as poss then use hairdryer. ;)

I think smaller spaces make them feel a little better as a big bath is quite scary and slippery and they may hurt themselves.

I bathed Lennie recently. I put a big towel in the bottom of the bath and put a couple of inches of lukewarm water in a washing up bowl which I placed in the bath. That way, I thought if he escaped the bath isn't slippery as the towel is in there. I had clean water in another bowl and used the little water jug from my steam iron to rinse him off. I then towel dried him and used a hairdryer on a low setting. Mind you, I don't think he has forgiven me yet ;D

1. I bath mine in the bath as I find my guineas are more comfortable and know that they can't get out so don't both. If you bath in a sink/ basin be sure you have absolute control over them as they can easily jump out of the skin and run of the side or what not.

2. I fill the bath up 1 to 2 inches (so the water is covering their legs), I also use the shower just to make sure they have no shampoo/ conditioner left in the coat.

3) It is best to bath them alone as it will be much easier. I only ever/ have bathed two together if I know they will be fine or when I am bathing a new guinea for the first time I will put one of my original guineas (again one that I know will just sit there) in the bath with them so the new guinea has someone to comfort them, so that they see it is normal and nothing to worry about.

4) Towel dry them as best as you can and then use a hairdryer on the lowest/ a comfortable setting (not so high the guinea will be blown across the room).

5) You will have to clean the grease gland, many people use washing up liquid or special stuff mechanics use.

Hope this helps and good luck. O0

hi.
I put my 2 in the bath, one at a time, i let the other one run around on the bathroom floor while i am washing the other.
I put a towel in the bottom so they dont slip.

I put my hand and arm in between the front legs and hold their chest, just support them so they dont escape.
i use the shower spray with warm water and some shampoo i got from georgeous guineas web site.
i use a bit of swarfega on the grease gland.
then rinse them
wrap them in a towel and dry them
I dont use a hairdryer cos they dont like it
i put them on the settee untill they are dry before i put them in their cage
they are indoors so will not catch a chill as they would if they were outside

I have to be careful to hold them properly as they try and jump out of the bath

bobby suceeded once, clever piggie, he did not hurt himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back