• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bathing and nail clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey ;)

I think the piggies are due a bath..soo I have some questions.

What's the best shampoo to use from a pet shop? I know a lot of people recommend the Gorgeous Guinea products, but at the moment dad isn't willing to buy online because he's a meany. I've seen mention of the Johnsons shampoos, anyone used these and can comment on them? Should I just get a "normal" piggy shampoo, or one against mites, etc?

Where is the best place to bath them? I only really have choice of either the bathroom sink (really small) or the bath..the kitchen sink is kind of out of the question because of Patch.

What's the best way to dry them? I don't really want to dry them with the hair dryer, so can I just towel dry them and put them in their cage (indoors, warm room) or..?

What are good nail clippers to buy from the shop? I know how to clip them (SkinnyLover showed me :D) but don't have any clippers atm..

Any other things I should know before I attempt this tomorrow night ::) Apart from the fact I'm gunna be soaked :D

Thankies..Jane x

:) Gorgeous Guineas will also accept a cheque. If your Dad doubts them then I will vouch for them everytime. They also have a number to phone for advice/queries. You won't buy the Marvellous Melts anywhere else and they are exactly that Marvellous. I have used them on fungal pigs and they clear the problem in one 'sitting' as opposed to multiple oil soaks- plus they only stay on for 20 mins, not 24 hrs! There is a prebath/conditioning one which lifts dead skin and leaves guinea really fluffy :) :-*

Testing Melts

Sorry to go off topic, Karen

I am another Gorgeous Guineas fan. The bottles do last a very long time and as well as making your piggys smell really nice they can help prevent skin problems. They really are an investment.

I personally use GG's Conditioning Shampoo - http://shop.store2go.net/gorgeousguineas/p/product/0602267429-Conditioning+Shampoo:+220ml/ I have a bottle of Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender and it's really nice/ C: I also have a bottle of Shaws Rabbit & Guinea Pig shampoo which gets the job done, I bought it from P@H.

Also, as for the bathing itself.. I use the bathroom sink. One piggy at a time - I fill it with warm water so it's enough to cover the piggy when I hold their tummy in the water, but not enough to let their head/face into the water.

Then just use your hands to make their coat wet, get a small amount of shampoo and massage it into the fur, making sure to do underneath them as well, then rinse. C:

When towel drying, you just need to make sure that the piggy is completely dry and warm before going back into the cage - I warn you, it can take quite a while. XD

:) Different guins have their own shampoo. My peru and Texels have Posh N Go, the Satins have Manuka and Neem and the others have the lemon tea tree and Lavender.

They are all conditioning in their own way and put moisture back into the skin. If you give a Coconut Melt beforehand the result is absolute fluffiness! Oh, and it removes dead skin too O0 My 61/2 year old Texel now has the hair of a 6 month old piggie after the Melt and Posh N Go, but feeling is believing.

They have as few chemicals in as needed, even the 'gentle' shampoos like Johnson and Johnson etc are stuffed full of chemicals. Just look at the ingredients next time you're out shopping then email Chrissie and ask her what she puts in hers. ;)

GG also do most things in trial sizes :)

Wouldn't touch the Johnson's small animal stuff with a barge pole. They have potentially harmful chemicals in them (search on Guinea Lynx for "pyrethins").

I love the Gorgeous Guineas products, too. Perhaps if you were to email Chrissie she might be able to arrange purchasing them offline for you?

I am also a HUGE Gorgeous Guineas fan. All mine had their baths last weekend and they are just all so soft and gorgeous looking. The Posh N Go is fantastic for the long haired piggys - my peruvians look stunning at the moment!

I would defo speak to Chrissie and see if you can sort something offline. She delivers really quickly and the products are top notch.

Looks like the piggies will be waiting a bit for their baths then :D I'll try and persuade dad to order on Tuesday (can't before then)..no idea if he will though, he does have paypal and everything he just get's annoyed with us wanting to buy stuff online and he's like "well i'd rather you didn't, isn't there something else you can get from the shop?" *sigh* but I'll give it a go..you never know.

I used the Johnson's one a couple of times and affected Tonni - no-one else, but now it's in the bin.

I use the GG Manukka and Neem and it's great. Highly reccommend GG! Also have a Seleen one for dermatitis from the vets on prescription - thats good too :)

I'm not sure between Lavender or Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender? I've heard both been talked about but can't decide which xx0

Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender is my fave. Lavenders 'nice' smelling but the aroma of LTT+L is refreshing and clean with an added Ziiiiiiiiiiiiing :D

karenrgpr said:
Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender is my fave. Lavenders 'nice' smelling but the aroma of LTT+L is refreshing and clean with an added Ziiiiiiiiiiiiing :D

Think I'll get Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender..anything else I should get whilst shopping there haha :P

Thanks for asking this question Jane. I am about to place an order for GG products and was looking at all the new goodies that Chrissie now has on offer - lots of new potions since I last ordered. I am spoilt for choice (or rather the piggies are!) so it's been good to hear everyones views - thanks guys.

Jane said:
Think I'll get Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender..anything else I should get whilst shopping there haha :P

LOL There you go, that one the fave ;)

Anything else? Oh just everything! ;)

Yep I looked there before and there wasn't as much as there is now! Ordering Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender shampoo on Tuesday night for them :)

Kelly..I wish XD Dad says I can't spend anymore than £10 (not inc. postage) on shampoos for the pigs ::)

I've just ordered from GG for the first time - happened to order the Lemon, TT and Lavendar shampoo. and a few sample sizes. Was undecided between the coconeem melt and coco melt.

Think I might order a bottle of Lice 'n' Easy Shampoo too? Don't think they do have anything, but it good to have..you know? Would it be okay to bath with that occasionally kinda as a procaution too?

I have used gg lice&easy and it is fantastic. I have also used johnsons they do two types one is yellow in colour thats the one to avoid although I have used it before I knew about the possiable harm it might do. The other is clear and does not contain pyrithins and i gave my piggies a bath earlier in this.

Well, gave the guineas their first bath on Wednesday... not sure they have forgiven me yet. I don't think I managed to rinse Pip well enough - had to rinse her cheek area again but everyone commented on how fluffy they look (they are short haired). I gave them the Coconeem melt followed by the Manuka and Neem shampoo. I think I'm supposed to do it again on day 7 so will make sure I use less and rinse more.

I love the smell of lavender in my shed after bath time for my lot and it brings the rexes coats to a gleaming shine and makes it so soft, wonderful stuff, always got some in ready for a warm day and a back aching day of bathing 30 plus piggys, but the smell after wards is wonderful

Back aching day of bathing 30 piggies! My back ached after just the two (I have a back problem); how do you manage 30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back