BATHING A GUINEA PIG?

Harry&Mo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 boys who are 5 months old and one of them (Mo) is mainly white, he’s a very shy, skittish and not as confident as his brother (Harry). Mo likes to hide away in his little house and he enjoys being on his own and I don’t mind that but, however, he’ll often use the bathroom in his little hideaway and because of him always wanting to be on his own, his white fur has now turned yellow and brown 🙄

So what I’m asking is, can I bathe him and if so, what shampoo is the best? I’ve seen a lot of them on Amazon but I don’t want to buy something that could potentially hurt him or damage his skin or his fur.

Thank you 💘

(Down below is the man himself, Mo! Or as I like to call him, Moseppi!)

Attachments

• IMG_4640.webp
    IMG_4640.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 9
You can bathe him but only if absolutely necessary or medically necessary. Bathing too often isn’t good for them so ifs not something you want to do routinely.
Do be aware though that yellow staining on white fur may never come out fully.

Gorgeous Guineas sell safe shampoos.

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

I use Gorgeous Guineas when I have to bath. One of mine never needed a bath, one had I think one bath and my last one has had. . . Three? in nearly 8 years. She has a tendency to get a bit ‘sticky’ sometimes. She seems to actually enjoy it, and likes a gentle blow dry after!

You can bathe him but only if absolutely necessary or medically necessary. Bathing too often isn’t good for them so ifs not something you want to do routinely.

It’ll only be this once as he really does look gross 😂 thank you!

Do you have any tips on how to properly clean their anal pouch please? I can’t figure out how to send you a private message through inbox 😂

Do you have any tips on how to properly clean their anal pouch please? I can’t figure out how to send you a private message through inbox 😂

You won’t be able to private message as you don’t have enough of a post count. Do note though that all questions should be posted on the forum and not in private messages.

At 5 months of age, he should not need you to clean the anal sac. They can get a collection of hair and bedding accumulate due to scent marking which you should be able to gently remove by hand. You should not need to clean any more than that.
Proper cleaning relating to impaction is not something young boars struggle with. Impaction is caused by the muscles weakening and generally only occurs in old boars.

The most I’ve ever had to do with any of my boars (and two of them are 5 years old) is remove a bit of hay.

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Here is a link to a post I made many years ago about the same thing - Boar Cleaning - For or not ? -
As you can see it didn’t go very well and I almost lost my boars bond. I would definitely recommend just doing a grease gland cleaning (every now and again) at their age, a lot of things down there are best left alone with a visual check once a week.

At 5 months he really shouldn’t need, as said above, nothing more than a visual check and maybe some hay pulled out once in a while. If you did start noticing he was having noticeable issues with it (his anal sack, or basically anything down there), then I would be getting him in for a vet check, mostly to his age but also in general.

Best of luck with your mucky boys bath, let us know how you get on x

Back