Bath Time?

FernEden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

So I took my piggies to the vets for a check up and got some parasite spot on put on them. Unfortunately it pooled on the skin and some of the liquid has run into the rest of their fur making them look greasy and gross.

My question is, should I bathe them?
And also, how am I going to bathe pigs that are still learning to trust me? We haven't even had cuddles yet, they still get a bit frightened when I try and stroke them. Am I just going to have to go for it and hope they don't hate me forever?

If I was you I'd leave them greasy rather than upsetting them if they haven't been handled yet. When you put the drops on do you go round & round in a circle. Then it's not in one spot, do it slowly to let the skin absorb it.

If I was you I'd leave them greasy rather than upsetting them if they haven't been handled yet. When you put the drops on do you go round & round in a circle. Then it's not in one spot, do it slowly to let the skin absorb it.

The vet did it for me, he just plopped it on all in one spot. They need another pipette of it tomorrow because it pooled to much to give them the full dose so I've got to be brave because they also need their fly strike spray doing.

Do you think maybe some small animal body wipes would be better rather than a full on bath at this stage. I've only had them 3 weeks

You aren't suppose to clean them for a week or you could wipe some off. Get the vet to put it on & tell him what happened he might take more care this time. I've never heard of a spray for fly strike!

You aren't suppose to clean them for a week or you could wipe some off. Get the vet to put it on & tell him what happened he might take more care this time. I've never heard of a spray for fly strike!

I think I might do that!

Yeah, the fly strike spray looks quite good! It's by the company Beaphar and you just spray a number of pumps (depending on the weight of the pig) onto their rear end :)

If you still do want to bathe them after, I would do it in really shallow water, maybe even just a tub with a damp towel. My Cocoa hates water so I just use a wet towel so I don't "traumatize" him haha.

Back