bath mats

• Thread starter Thread starter spaz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spaz

I have tried many different types of bedding for my guinea pigs. Nothing seemed to work. The bedding would just get nasty after a few days, and the bedding at the pet store was pretty expensive, especially if I was cleaning the cage every few days or so. I wanted something that would be easy to clean and something to keep my guinea pigs clean. I found some oasis mats at an online pet store, but they were also pretty expensive. So I went to Walmart to find something similar, but cheep too. I found some larg bath mats that only cost $3.00 (the material of the mats is some kind of rubber foam mix). I also bought some towels for $1.00. When I got home I put a towel at the bottom of the cage, cut the bath mat to fit the cage and put it over the towel. Everyday just to keep the cage looking nice, I roll the mat up, dump everything that's inside the rolled up mat in the trash and replace the mat. When the cage needs to be cleaned out, I just take the mat out and do a quick scrub with some cleaner, let the mat dry for awhile, wash the towl and put a clean one in, then I replace the mat. This seems to work great, my guinea pigs love it, they just sprawl out on the mat and sleep instead of their beds, they stay clean from urine because it goes through the holes of the mat the the towel soakes it up, my guinea pigs don't chew it, and I think it looks nice and clean too.

What do you think about this method?

Here is a pic. of what the mat looks like. I took this pic. while getting ready to clean it, so it's a little dirty.

Picture.jpg

Do they nibble at it? mine would have it in bits in a day! I think the idea is a good one but I would be v worried about what the stuff would do to their insides... :(

hils78 said:
Do they nibble at it? mine would have it in bits in a day! I think the idea is a good one but I would be v worried about what the stuff would do to their insides... :(

yup I thought that too,i can imagine lil chunks of it flying around the hutches,lol

no, mine don't nibble or chew at it at all. My Spaz chews on everything! :D I guess they don't chew on it because it's so close to the floor and fits so close to the walls of the cage that they don't even notice it. I also put plenty of chew toys in the cage do they can relieve their chewing needs! I've had the bath mat in for about three months now and have had no problems!

Mine tried to eat the one the one in the bath when ever they got a bath. Would dread to think what they would do if it was in their cage. It's a good idea maybe if they don't chew it. :)

I think it's a good idea, but basically what everyone else says, make sure they don't chew it!

Also, if they are laying directly on it, make sure you're using a piggy friendly cleaner, as when they groom themselves they might ingest it from their coats.

Have you tried wood pellets? (to put under their hay). i think there is some info at the top of this thread :)

You sound like you are very devoted to your pigs, cleaning them everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back