Bath mats?

Lymaine

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bath mats question!

I currently use old towels, then puppy pads and then fleece on top for the pigs.. those of you that use bath mats…

how often do you need to change them?
Do you put anything underneath?
Do you find the pigs dig them up?

I’m trying to find a more sustainable and economical way of doing things, especially now I have 2 cages on the go so I’d like to get rid of the puppy pads!

Right now I spot clean twice a day and full clean twice a week so that’s a lot of puppy pads going in the bin!

When I used them, I probably changed them every 2-3 days. They were on top of my liners. The girls did used to go under them but they enjoyed it so I left them to it.

The mats that get the most traffic (or should I say, pee) I’ll change every few days. The others that stay dry don’t need changing often. I tend to find it’s the mats where their hay is that get most wet.

I use mats with two layers of towels beneath. They rarely dig them. On the occasion they do, they only lift corners then get bored and give up!

I use supermarket mats (I find Morrisons the best, as they are thicker).

6331D482-8782-442F-B6C0-C65FD4D0316A.webp
E19D57FC-29AD-4EEA-B724-9E2C7E9D0EC3.webp

When I used them, I probably changed them every 2-3 days. They were on top of my liners. The girls did used to go under them but they enjoyed it so I left them to it.

Why did you stop using them?

I use the bath mats with puppy pads underneath. As @Bradshaw Piggies says, you change the ones with the worst traffic every 2 - 3 days. The worst affected are the ones near the hay as they get wet and dirty the quickest. The others can go a little bit longer. Just poop sweep every day. I love my bath mats - and so do the piggies.

I use mats with puppy pads underneath and change them once a week. The pee pads in heavy traffic areas get swapped out over 2-3 days (I use fancy cushion covers from charity shops with a puppy pad inside them for this!).

I'd never not use bath mats now (always get the ikea ones, too!), I have four sets.

I use toggle bath mats too, I don’t have anything underneath them apart from newspaper. I find the bath mats very absorbent and handy. I spot clean 2-3 times a week and a full clean out once a week. The only problem is I get a lot of grass seeds stuck in them, but so do they fleeces.

The mats that get the most traffic (or should I say, pee) I’ll change every few days. The others that stay dry don’t need changing often. I tend to find it’s the mats where their hay is that get most wet.

I use mats with two layers of towels beneath. They rarely dig them. On the occasion they do, they only lift corners then get bored and give up!

I use supermarket mats (I find Morrisons the best, as they are thicker).

View attachment 206509
View attachment 206510
Oh look at them! 🥰🥰🥰

Back