Bath mat absorbency - query!

Fizzali

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am debating using bath mats as an alternative to fleece liners with re-usable puppy pads underneath (or on top of fleece as pee pads) but I am a bit confused - I have some new noodle mats from B&M and also some from Ikea which are actually ones we have had for a while. For both brands, if I pour a small amount of water onto them, it soaks straight in but it does then feel very damp to the touch. Is this not risky for the guinea pigs for them to be sitting in/having their paws on wet bath mat? I know lots of people use them successfully so hoping someone could put my mind at rest!

Hi!

I exclusively use noodle mats from IKEA with cotton towels underneath and have never had a problem at all. I don’t think it’s a problem that it feels damp right after it’s soaked the liquid, I think it’s more about how quickly the dampness goes away. From my experience, it never lasts long enough to become a problem :)

Hope this helps and good luck!

I use the noodle mats in my hay areas and the urine soaks away quickly into the newspaper underneath. I have had my mats for several years though. I do know some makes are now not absorbent at all as they have changed the fabrics used in them. I bought my daughter an ASDA noodle mat recently to use in her bathroom and it doesn't absorb the wet at all, it sits on the top of the mat and runs off when you pick it up. This is after 3 washes!

I bought mine from Tesco and home bargains I have fleece cage liners underneath, they work fine.

using bath mats can be safe and effective for guinea pigs if they are kept dry and clean. Layering them with absorbent materials and changing them frequently will help ensure a healthy environment.

Back