• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Basic questions.

• Thread starter Thread starter nicfirth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicfirth

hi,

I am reading way to much and starting to get myself confused!

When we got the our boys on Monday we put the bedding we brought from the shop accoross the whole hutch basically so it smelt the same. Having read that shavings can cause problems we intend just using newspaper and hay.

We have a hay manger on the open section of the hutch but I'm not sure if I should just put paper and hay in the closed "bedroom" section and leave the open section bare wood or put hay and/or newspaper there too.

Also which disinfectant are best and safe. I've read that detol can be used, but my wife is sure that it is toxic to cats and is worried about using it.

Thanks

Nic

Okay...well I would say it would end up everywhere anyway! Make sure that they arent sleeping/pooping and eating the same hay for obvious reasons, but you have a hack rack so that should be okay... wee wee hay cant taste too good! If it were me id put a layer of newspaper across the bottom of the cage...then paper and hay bedding one side :) (the bedroom area :) )

I use the disinfectant from p@h thats made for small animals and always have so not sure about using your standard stuff to be honest but i dont think it would be okay :)

There are lots of alternative beddings you can use, the housing page has lots of reviews on them etc :)

You can get disenfectents from pet shops which are pet friendly, so it would probably be safest to use one of those.

I would still put bedding on he open section of the cage (even if it is just a layer of newspaper or something as perfectpiggies said) so they have something to walk on or possibly lay on, if you look in the housing forum there are loads of alternative beddings that can be used, which are cheap. I currently use megazorb but my piggies seem to prefer it on fleece and towels so I have changed them to that in their new hutch.
I would still leave the hay manger there though so they can eat fresh hay rather than eating hay they may have wee'd and pooed on.
I am not too sure in this case what the bes thing to do would be I would wait until someone more experienced gives you some advice :)

SPH Supplies have disinfectant that is effective against fungal and bacterial probs and safe to use. I use Medibed a short chopped straw like Russel bedding (found at vets and pet shops) for my bedding over newspaper all over the hutch then hay in racks and in piles on the floor for them to play in. Have yet to see them eat wet hay :) and they love to burrow in it and eat it at the same time :)

I use newspaper and hay in the bedroom area,
I use just newspaper in the warmer months in the main part of the hutch, but newspaper and hay in the winter months.
I use the dissenfectant spray from pets at Home
I use a hay rack too.

I use newspaper to line the cages and shredded paper for bedding. If you have a look at the bedding reviews i am sure you will find one to suit.

I use wood shavings (sawdust) for most of my animals, apart from my guinea who is allergic who lives on just newspaper. However, if you just want to use newspaper and hay I would put a layer of newspaper and hay all over the floor of the hutch, keeping the hay rack you have. I use a mild disinfectant or an animal friendly one for my weekly disinfecting of the hutches. You can use Detol, but you have to water it down quite a bit and be sure it is correctly mixed, so it would be better if you went for one that is safe for animals. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back