• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

basic first aid kit for piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi all,
since finding this forum have notice you all mention so many different meds you use for your piggies. so was wondering if someone could give me a list of things i could buy to make up a basic first aid kit and what these things are for. like baby's gripe water for bloat/wind, baytril for rattles on chest . things like that. also doseage would be welcomed too. like 0.5mls per 100 grams body weight etc. would appreciate any help as you know the vets here know very little so would like to be able to perform basic first aid for my piggies till the vets can work out what to do. as you can see i know nothing too about medicines and treatment. hugs and cuddles. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Over the years I have tried to put a kit together for my piggies / rabbit / dog but have always come across the problem that some things go out of date so I have a basic kit and also a list of suppliers who stock things like small animal antiseptic cream and so on.

My kit contains
Saline solution for cleaning any wounds (usually had a good 2 year shelf life)
Gauze for cleaning wounds
Melolin for dressing wounds
Mini bandage
A nit comb for checking fur
And thats about it.

I am lucky though my vet is very god with small animals and open 7 days a week so all I need to do is keep a wound clean for less than 24 hours while I get to a vet. As for bloat and things at the first sign of anything like this I can call my vets and either take them down or he will put out meds for me to pick up.

Having a pet first aid kit is a very good idea. Before christmas our dog managed to pull a claw out and rip his foot open. It was a Sunday at about 3pm.
It would not stop bleeding, phoned vet who told us to apply a dressing and the vet called back in 20 mins, we said it was just bleeding through everything so the vet said to tae him down. By this point me and my house mate were covered in blood, the house was covered in blood and after going to the vet so was the car!

It took 1 vet and 3 nurses over an hour to patch him him, seal the wound and plaster his leg. I had the insurance documents ready seeing a bill of over £100 especially as by this time it was after sunday closing time but to my shock it cost off of £19.75 for the dressing, plaster and glue they used to fix him up. I questioned the price and reminded the vet we were insured so price was not an issue and she replied "its christmas and you are long term clients who we know work hard for your animals". As you can imagine the next day I was down there with a huge box of choccies for the team.

thanks for that fluffy friends,
you see that is the problem here we haven't a vet that is piggy savvy. like with petal when she had bloat, we wasted 2 days trying to find a vet that was savvy on piggies and there treatment was sedation and putting a tube down her thoart. since joining here have found you give gripe water and massage tummy. heard of saline cream, and the gauze, may have to have a good look for the other 3 items. i am making a list and will attack the supermarket monday. if i can find the saline soultion how much do you add to the water? is it dangerous for them to lick it? is salty warm water just as good? sorry for asking so many questions i am very eager to learn and want to do the right thing by my babies. you mentioned insurance for your dog, do you get pet insurance for your piggies too? as here in oz we can only get insurance for dogs and cats. and this to makes me :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:(love that little guy). thanks again for your help. hugs and cuddles to you and yours. :smitten: :smitten:

I have a small collection of items. Creams for sores, bandages, shampoos for lice, syringes incase I need to hand feed, critical care food and clippers and a brush, hope to get more this month. :)

Saline is usually about 0.2% salt and is just 100% sterile, salt water is nearly as good and what most would use. I have the advantage of living with a Paramedic whith their own fully kitted fast response car so we have things like saline on hand all the time (for emergencies only, we don't make a habit of it but when the dog was hurt it came in very handy then his work just bill him for what is used)

i have critical care sachets and syringes, buscopan and rennies, from when pansy had tummy probs, unopened otodex eardrops because bluebell has persistent ear probs, sealed cotton wool, nail clippers, brush and scissors, rubber gloves, vitamin c tablets, rehydration solution. i am buliding up with more stuff though O0

Meds do go out of date,some have a short shelf life.Some products have to be used within a few weeks of being opened.In view of this it is best to buy in for specific problems.Also of course a lot of meds can only be supplied by a vet.

I keep in 1 ml and 2 ml syringes for feeding and giving meds.
jars of pureed baby food
jar of High potency manuka honey which has a long shelf life
ivermectine in the form of Zeno 450,also long life.
calendula ointment
Waitrose Baby Bottom Cream
herbal shampoos
nail clippers
Neem toothpaste
daktarin oral gel
cotton buds
olive oil
sudafed

I do have a locked box with pom drugs and needles but this is a private arrangement with my vet who trusts me.

honey

Due to having a pig thats had just about anything i have quite a pharmacy in my piggy room lol! Off the top of my head i have:

Mediscrub for flushing abscesses, cleaning wounds.
Exocin eye drops for conjunctivitis and eye infections
Galens green cream for fungal
GG lavender and mhyr lotion (sp?)
GG perfect paws lotion for dry feet
Bepanthen as a barrier cream
Dermisol cream for packing abscesses and putting on cuts
Bio-Lapis, a pro biotic for tummy upsets and for when taking antibiotics
Metacam, an anti inflamatory and pain killer
Baytril, an antibiotic
Septrin, another antibiotic
Veg baby food, to syringe when they wont eat veg
Chewable vitamin C tablets for if someone is off their veg
Imodium, for upset tums
Dioralyte rehydration powder
Bisolvon powder for clearing the mucus of the chest
Sudafed, helped with his URIs
Loads of packaged syringes, 2.5ml ones and 1ml ones

I wouldnt have had most of that it if wasnt for Ralfie ::) i have the vit c tablets, Dioralyte, imodium, bio lapis and syringes in use now :(

Other than medical stuff i have a brush, nail clippers, GG shampoo and loads of cotton wool/cotton buds!
x

Wow Emma that is quite a list! :D I'm writing everyone's suggestions down for when I need them. I tend to get things in if their is a problem but it's handy to refer back to. :)

I would get dioralyte, bio lapis, immodium, dermisol, vit c tablets, baby food, sudafed and syringes. your unlikely to need the rest of my list and they have short shelf lives! i just have them because Ralfie is never well and i do tend to use most of that list a month lol! Just modified it because i forgot eye drops ::) I'm having a clear out now, that list is rather long so I'm throwing out of date stuff and antibiotics out O0

It may be worth pointing out to newer piggie owners that there is no need to go and buy everything under the sun just incase you get a problem. One it will cost you a fair amount and two, as much as home help is good a vets advise should always be got even if you dont have a good piggie vet and phone a well established rescue centre for advise which is out of your local area.

Its the same with general piggie needs like nail clipping, do not try it unless you know what you are doing and are confident. The last thing you want is a piggie in pain or distress.

I agree, no need to buy all the stuff in my list, as i say i wouldnt have it if i didnt have a sick piggy and it would cost a lot, plus it goes out of date quickly. On the other hand it is quite handy to have things such as pro biotic, general creams and dioralyte/imodium in because a nasty bout of diorhea could cause serious problems and can come on very suddenly. x

I agree Emma prevention is better than cure. Just like with our pills animal medication goes out of date too so I totally agree no need to buy everything in. :)

This post has made me smile, because when I cut myself a while ago on a can lid that was hiding in the washing up water, the only first aid kit I had was my (very well stocked!) dog one. So I ended up with paw-print vet wrap bandage around my hand!

I'm gradually building up a piggy one, added Tea Tree cream and pro-biotics to it today. Tea Tree and wound powder is half price at Pampered Piggies at the moment (my order arrived today, then I noticed these on the site!)

Latex gloves are a good idea. And blunt-tipped scissors.

Oxbow Critical Care is an absolute must on my list. I have it go out of date more often than I actually use it (end up donating it to rescue) but it's a must have. I have to laugh as a lot of my bathroom cabinet is piggy stuff, including lots of gorgeous guineas things.

Baytril isn't something I'd keep around, especially since it doesn't cover every infection and eventuality. It's pretty strong stuff. I'm not too sure I agree with imodium, either. It does work in clearing up diarrhoea but it slows down the gut to do so. It doesn't treat whatever caused the diarrhoea in the first place and I'd hate to think it was making an infection sit around in the piggy's gut.

Its better to use imodium to stop the diarrhea until you can get to a vet than let it carry on and have the piggy get very ill from dehydration etc, ive given one of mine imodium. diaralyte and bio lapis today because his poo's are a bit soft and if he hasnt improved by monday he's going to the vets first thing. But i didnt think it was neccesary to pay £75 for the emergency vets today when it wasnt even diarrhea and 9 times out of 10 the cause of runny poo is something they've eaten or medication rather than a bacterial infection. I dont agree with self medicating pigs at home at all because dosages etc differ every time but in some cases it is right to give something yourself and thats when having such things in comes in handy. For the sake of spending a couple of pounds it can really make a difference i think.

I agree it is better to treat things than to let them carry on for like 24 hours before you can see a vet. But people reading this who are new to piggies may not know how much imodium or such to give a pig. You read the lable and its for a human not a piggie. I mean someone could easily kill a pig with too much medication. I have was on a rabbit forum once and the same sort of question came up and a person gave their dwaf rabbit a whole water bottole of gripe water, 2 imodium tablets and 2 sachets of dehydration mix in 1/2 a day for a dodgy gut and the rabbit ended up in the vets for days as a result. Plus kids on the forum may get in trouble for stocking their bedroom with lotions and medication without their parents knowing, so kids always ask mum / dad and keep all meds away from little kids.

Sorry i was just answering choloes question, what i had in my stock and what its used for. I'm sure she'd know to ask someone on here how much before giving it. For the record its half a capsule of imodium. and the rest of the medication is for pigs anyway so just as it says on the pack.

Oh I was not referring to you, I am sure you know what your doing but for people new to piggies, maybe members joining in the future who are new to pigs and kids and so on. I meant no offence.

No its ok, none taken. Looking back my list is a bit full on! I was just trying to say things that are useful until you can get to a vet but i realise not all people would take it that way xx

hi,
thanks for all your replies, i have written down all items and also copied and pasted them and sent them to my vet to ask her which ones she feels i should have on hand. as so many have said they are expensive, half i have never heard of, and they do have expiry dates. i have also asked her about piggy courses like first aid etc but know australia and piggies i wpon't hold my breath :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: some one suggested i do one long distance from a campus in the UK or USA but as pointed out we have different climates and what is available in the UK or USA may not be available here in australia for example to name two critical care and timothy grass hay. they aren't availble here in south australia. thanking everyone again for your help. it is much appreciated. hugs and cuddles to you and your fur babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

my vet said she will look into the oxbow products, it is unreasonable to expect her to order them just for me if others don't wish to get them. if my vet doesn't get them in i can get them on ebay. like i said glynis sent me some which lasted 10 days and only the rabbit liked them. so i am unsure whether i should give it another go if the guinea pigs zoe and jessie don't like them. any advice should i try again? hugs and cuddles to you and your fur babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

choloe said:
my vet said she will look into the oxbow products, it is unreasonable to expect her to order them just for me if others don't wish to get them. if my vet doesn't get them in i can get them on ebay. like i said glynis sent me some which lasted 10 days and only the rabbit liked them. so i am unsure whether i should give it another go if the guinea pigs zoe and jessie don't like them. any advice should i try again? hugs and cuddles to you and your fur babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Mine were stubborn for the first couple of days and then they started picking out the Oxbow from their other food when I mixed it. I switched straight over. I wouldn't be too worried about introducing it gradually - it's so good for them it will do them little harm. As long as they get hay and veggies, pellets are third on the list of priorities.

okay, can get timothy grass hay $16.00 plus $7.00 postage on ebay for a 425gram bag(about 6 pounds) and i can also get the oxbow brand pellets for $28.00 plus $9.00 postage also on ebay(around 9 pounds) should i buy both or just one? if one which one? tried the pellets(oxbow) for 10 days and both piggies didn't like them, they won't even eat the lucerne pellets. have read on here that some people tried for months. hoping someone can advise. also are these prices expensive? i can get a whole bale of oaten hay for $20.00(around 5 pounds). hugs and cuddles to your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

maryh said:
Meds do go out of date,some have a short shelf life.Some products have to be used within a few weeks of being opened.In view of this it is best to buy in for specific problems.Also of course a lot of meds can only be supplied by a vet.

I keep in 1 ml and 2 ml syringes for feeding and giving meds.
jars of pureed baby food
jar of High potency manuka honey which has a long shelf life
ivermectine in the form of Zeno 450,also long life.
calendula ointment
Waitrose Baby Bottom Cream
herbal shampoos
nail clippers
Neem toothpaste
daktarin oral gel
cotton buds
olive oil
sudafed

I do have a locked box with pom drugs and needles but this is a private arrangement with my vet who trusts me.

honey
hi maryh, do you mind me asking what you use daktarin oral gel, neem toothpaste, baby bottom cream and manuka honey for please! don't worry if you don't want to, i'm just curious. O0 i don't know as much as you on these things! :)

Daktarin oral gel is very soothing after dental work has been done.It can also be used for fungal infections in the mouth/throat.

Neem toothpaste is good for mouth ulcers.

Waitrose Baby Bottom Cream can be used on sore pads,it is soothing and forms a barrier from urine.It smells nice too!,and does not contain chemicals.

High Potency Manuka Honey can be used to pack abcess holes,also on ulcerated pads.It is a natural antibacterial.

I have the following:

Critical Care (both Formula and Oxbow)
Oxbow vit C
Potters tabritis tables (for fluffy's arthritis)
Bepanthen cream
GG shampoos (I have 3 different ones)
GG neem melt
GG lavender and Myrt (sp) lotion
GG perfect Paws ** wow I am a good customer of GG!**
Olive Oil
Seringes

I am very lucky to have a 24 hr shop just downstairs so could get thinks like baby food, imodium etc.. straight away if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back