Barbering a sick piggy

Esstina2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I shared this week my Speedy( long haired) is suffering with bad arthritis and this week for the most part she has not been mobile at all, but she is showing signs of improvement today after having her metacam dose increased from last Friday. Peanut her cage friend has started pulling bits of fur out of her bum causing her a bit of distress. I'm not sure why she is doing this, as they are good friends. Do you think she is exerting dominance now that Speedy can't defend herself at the moment, or is she doing it to try and get her mobile as an affectionate gesture? I have no clue and I'm not sure what to do about it. Thanks in advance.

I personally have never come across this but found this link I hope it helps shed light as to what’s going on

Hope Speedy gets more mobile very soon 🤞

Barbering ( Eating Hair)
Thanks iv read all that and it seems Peanut the underpin is seeking to expert her dominance on Speedy who is in no position to prevent it at the moment. She is also still licking her eyes so I'm still a bit confused as this seems nice but ripping her fur out isn't and it's making Speedy whimper. Could I split their cage for a few days or will this destroy their bond? Thanks in advance

Oh gosh? It’s beyond my experience but hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will pop on very soon. I do think the underpig will try and gain superiority if the top piggie is poorly. I have seen this with my old boys Bill and Ted, but no experience of barbering

It's gotten very persistent today and becoming relentless. I'm worried about Speedys recovery so I'm hoping it would be ok to divide the cage, then at least they are still together and Speedy can then recover in peace. Il wait to see if anyone else had gone through this and it was a successful temporary separation as I'd hate to destroy the bond. Thank you, I agree iv never seen anything like this, and just want to make the right decision.

If you can divide the cage, so they will see each other then I would do that, especially if it’s persistent. Speedy will feel much happier I’m sure and they can still talk to each other

If you can divide the cage, so they will see each other then I would do that, especially if it’s persistent. Speedy will feel much happier I’m sure and they can still talk to each other
As Speedy is improving on a daily basis iv decided to leave them be as she will soon be able to tell Peanut off if she feels the need. I'd hate to upset their bond and separating them although beneficial right now to Speedy would stress out little Peanut . Thanks for replying to me . I pray iv made the right decision x

As Speedy is improving on a daily basis iv decided to leave them be as she will soon be able to tell Peanut off if she feels the need. I'd hate to upset their bond and separating them although beneficial right now to Speedy would stress out little Peanut . Thanks for replying to me . I pray iv made the right decision x
I think you have for niw, u til she is better. When you bond them do it on neutral territory

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Aw good to hear that Speedy is getting a bit better now, it’s nicer to leave them together provided Speedy isn’t being too bothered now by Peanut. Hope the new dose of metacam helps her x

Back