Bar biting 😬

Packit

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my younger piggies won't stop biting on the cnc bars of his cage. it's driving me crazy! chat do I do?

Bar biting is often for attention. Usually you just have to ignore it.
I’ve seen your post about reintroducing them after they’ve had a blood drawing fight (which I’ve posted on sadly confirming that after a blood drawing fight, you will not be able to reintroduce them) but can you confirm that the two of their two cages are side by side so they do have interaction through the bars?
Does he have plenty of enrichment in his cage ? (Big loose hay piles to play in, ability of forage through, and other hides and tunnels to run in)

I currently have them completely separated. They were trying to fight each other through the bars. They have plenty enrichment (I hope) and lots of hay.

I currently have them completely separated. They were trying to fight each other through the bars. They have plenty enrichment (I hope) and lots of hay.

Their cages do need to be side by side but you can have that with a gap between so they can’t get to each other through the bars. If they cannot communicate in any way with each other (most of their communication is through scent and body language), then they risk becoming lonely.

Alright I understand, I'll make sure to fix this in the morning!

You say they were trying to fight each other through the bars - what were they actually doing?

It is very normal to see dominance behaviours between the bars in separated piggies. This is due to them marking their own territories.

You say they were trying to fight each other through the bars - what were they actually doing?

It is very normal to see dominance behaviours between the bars in separated piggies. This is due to them marking their own territories.
they were starting to work themselves up by biting at the bars, rumbling, running around like they were mad, and stuff like that

I have two separated boars. Before they fell out, neither bit the bars, but now the more dominant one bites the dividing bars constantly to get the other piggy's attention, as well as patrolling the divider rumble strutting. It's normal and I don't think you can do anything about it

I have two separated boars. Before they fell out, neither bit the bars, but now the more dominant one bites the dividing bars constantly to get the other piggy's attention, as well as patrolling the divider rumble strutting. It's normal and I don't think you can do anything about it
thank you for the insite

Back