• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Balding and weight loss

beccahope

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

Last year my 6 year old female guinea pig lost weight and was balding under her belly as she had ovarian cysts which I have had removed and had her spayed, and she gained weight nicely following this.
I’ve noticed today that she is loosing hair on her back, her skin is greasy and flakey, and has become skinny around her rump and under tummy like she has muscle loss?
Still active in her self and still eating and drinking plenty, and has a range of veggies daily.
My other two pigs have no issues or hair loss so don’t think it is mites as they live together.
Is there anything that can be done to help her now or has anyone experienced this before?

Hi,

Last year my 6 year old female guinea pig lost weight and was balding under her belly as she had ovarian cysts which I have had removed and had her spayed, and she gained weight nicely following this.
I’ve noticed today that she is loosing hair on her back, her skin is greasy and flakey, and has become skinny around her rump and under tummy like she has muscle loss?
Still active in her self and still eating and drinking plenty, and has a range of veggies daily.
My other two pigs have no issues or hair loss so don’t think it is mites as they live together.
Is there anything that can be done to help her now or has anyone experienced this before?

Hi

Please have her vet checked. It could be something metabolic with one of the glands. She sounds very frail and elderly when piggies become basically just skin and bones.

Don't rule out mange mites; if there is a reservoir in the skin, they can take over with devastating speed in the frail elderlies with the companions being able to fnd them off.

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what is going on.

Hi,

Good luck at the vets. ❤️

Back