• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bald patches

• Thread starter Thread starter spitcher88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spitcher88

I have noticed recently that one of my piggies has a bald patch near his bum. It's not his scent gland, as it's on his actual back. Does anyone know what this could be? I have caught him having a bit of a fight with one of my other pigs-nothing serious but he's pulled out a few hairs. Is this normal? I am going to take him to the vet but just wondered if anyone else had any info. The patch isn't sore at all, and the skin looks perfectly healthy...I am just a bit confused. :-\

it could be mites so id recommend taking him to the vets. my bob started getting bald patches shortly after i got him, one on his back below his neck, and a huge one just where you described. when it got bad it was flakey, and he scratched a lot. does your piggy scratch himself a lot? check if the patch has scaley skin too.

if not, i would still take him to the vet if it was me just to be safe. both my piggies have had mites, and bobs was so terrible as it got very bad

EDIT: sorry just reread your post and u said the skin was healthy looking, i would still take him just in case to the vet, as when my other piggy munchie had mites i could only tell cos he had a bald patch.

then again your piggie might not have mites I'm just speaking from my experience.

Thats great thanks. It's wierd it doesn't seem like mites as another one of my pigs had it a while ago and like you mentioned the skin was really flakey. It's really odd, he doesn't mind when I touch it...he's just a bit bald! ?

lol that really is strange :o

have no idea then, I'm a first time piggy owner so dont know that much lol, only knew about the mites as my piggies had them only weeks after i got them. but my munchie when he got mites his skin wasnt flakey, i caught it early, the only symptom he had was a bald patch.

when i took mine to the vet they mentioned other things that could cause bald patches, so its probably best to check, just to be on the safe side. i take my boys for the slightest thing cos I'm a worrier lol, best to be safe and know that the piggy is ok :)

If it is mites in the early stages, it might not be sore to touch or flakey. It could also be a fungal infection, often the two go hand in hand. A trip to the vets is needed I would say before it gets any worse. Piggies don't go bald for no reason ;D
Also, have a look at www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk. They have a range of shampoos and melts for piggies. If you email Chrissie, she will give you good advice O0

It could be mites however you said that your piggies had a bit of a fight and pulled out some hairs? Could be that this has aggravated his skin and has caused him to barber himself or that others are continually barbering him?

There's no barbering-at least i don't think there is. It doesn't look like it...it's just bald. I'll see if I can post a picture of it. My other piggy had mites and it just doesn't look the same.

DSC00181.jpg

Bit of a bad picture I know...I think I will still take him to the vet. Problem is I try and get info from people who have got's lot's of experience with Guinea Pigs-vets seem to have a wide knowledge of lots of animals and might not be that clued up on them. One vet I saw didn't seem to know anything, and made the situation worse which was a bit upsetting. Thats kind of why I'm trying to find out a few things first. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back