Bald Patches - Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Biggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello one and all! Although still missing Biggles hugely, I've taken on two girls (just over 3years old) as they were looking for a new home. Lilly and Lottie had apparently lived out most of the time in a small chicken arc - just coming in when it was bitterly cold! As a result, they weren't very friendly but will now let me pick them up quietly instead of a mad scramble! They don't wheek or popcorn or do anything B used to do so it's a bit strange. A few weeks ago Lilly started going bald on one side, then the other and then a patch on her back. I took them both to the vet and they had a course of 3 injections for mites. The last one was on the 24th July but notmuch seems to be happening. Yesterday when I got them in from the garden, I noticed almost a rash (bites?) on one side. Could Lottie be 'grooming' her or has anyone any other ideas. They are on shavings and hay (usually via the freezer!) and there weren't any problems to start with. Suggestions? I'll try and download a photo but not sure how that'll go!

Attachments

• new piggies 066.webp
    new piggies 066.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
  • new piggies 080.webp
    new piggies 080.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 8
  • supermoon Lilly & dining chairs 001.webp
    supermoon Lilly & dining chairs 001.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 8
  • supermoon Lilly & dining chairs 002.webp
    supermoon Lilly & dining chairs 002.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 8
Not sure if I've got the pictures in the right format but if they are, the dark piggie is Lottie and the white one is Lilly!

No, but they do sometimes snuggled up to each other. Lottie seems absolutely fine. She's a lot bigger then Lilly and definitely No1!

Hello one and all! Although still missing Biggles hugely, I've taken on two girls (just over 3years old) as they were looking for a new home. Lilly and Lottie had apparently lived out most of the time in a small chicken arc - just coming in when it was bitterly cold! As a result, they weren't very friendly but will now let me pick them up quietly instead of a mad scramble! They don't wheek or popcorn or do anything B used to do so it's a bit strange. A few weeks ago Lilly started going bald on one side, then the other and then a patch on her back. I took them both to the vet and they had a course of 3 injections for mites. The last one was on the 24th July but notmuch seems to be happening. Yesterday when I got them in from the garden, I noticed almost a rash (bites?) on one side. Could Lottie be 'grooming' her or has anyone any other ideas. They are on shavings and hay (usually via the freezer!) and there weren't any problems to start with. Suggestions? I'll try and download a photo but not sure how that'll go!

If a full mites course hasn't brought any result, would your vet consider a fungal skin infection (not necesarily ringworm). the most effective treatment for that would be (oral) itrafungol. Please do not treat on spec at home. Bite/scratch wounds are usually caused by a very itchy skin.
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/photogallery.html, last picture

The second time I took them, the vet did see if she could pick up anything on selotape to look at under a microscope but I didn't hear back so assumed she didn't find anything. I saw a different vet the 3rd time and she couldn't see anything on the notes.

Many thanks Wiebke. I've just looked at the link but the only picture that fits is crusty nipples! Fungal/hormonal? I thought it was something to do with the fact that when she went to her first home she was pregnant and produced just 1 pup. Poor little thing was only a baby herself! Guess it's back to the vets.

Back to the vets tonight. Finally managed to speak this am and she thinks it may be hormonal - cysts. She is going to scan her but has said that if that is what it is, spaying is the route she would take. Not too happy about that as she is a very small piggy. Have read some of the comments on health forum but has anyone any further ideas? Trying not to go down the panic path yet!

:D Poor wee lass! What a nasty condition! Ask your vet about hormonal injections, instead of spaying. Hope she gets better soon! :tu:

Thank you 7squeakers. I'll ask about the injections. I'm really not happy about the alternative.

I second the hormone injections recommendation. Some vets like to drain the cyst first. I would see what the scan shows first though. The hormone injections that were given to my Terk where called Chorulon.

The update news on Lillie is very little really. She went to the vet last week and had her due scan. I can't remember if she said she found cysts or fibroids but nothing tumor wise and everything else looked ok, but she still stuck to the spaying route. I asked about hormone injections but she didn't know and said she would contact an exotics colleague and find out all the latest methods of treatment. I'm still waiting so I assume she couldn't get hold of them. Will ring again later to check. She did say that the alapecia (not sure of spelling) is connected but as long as she didn't seem worried about anything and was still eating, just to carry on. Poor little mite (no pun meant) has now got a clipped tummy to go with her bald sides but really no wiser and no further on!

At last, after 3 calls, I spoken to a very apologetic vet. She's had trouble getting hold of her exotics colleague but she come back with Receptil?(GnRH) 2 injections 14 days apart. Any views? Surely got to be worth a try rather than going invasive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back