• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bad news from the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I posted last week about Harry Haggis, who had a mammary lump which was removed a few days ago.

The results have come back from the vet and it's carcinoma. They reckon they got all of it, but it's impossible to tell if the cells have already spread or not. They've said that should more lumps appear they would be reluctant to operate, but that they can give drugs and that the piggy can live with a decent quality of life for quite a while.

At the moment I'm upset, but I'm trying to think practically. I've never encountered cancer in a piggy before, and I'd really appreciate any advice or ideas people have on how best to keep him well. Are there any foods, etc that I should avoid giving him, or should definitely give him to boost his immunity? Any experiences people have of this situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Scooterpig

Awwww poor piggy, I have never been in your situation, but I am sure there are people on here who can offer advice, keep us updated O0

hi

try and stay positive - piggers do get tumours - if your vet is confident they removed the whole lump then it could have been caught early enough....... I'm a veterinary nurse so kindda have a little bit more experience on these subjects. But just keep loving your pigger. What foods are you currently feeding your little one?

Scooterpig

A little extra vitimin c could help boost the immune sytem,but do not overdo this.Broccolli has cancer fighting enzymes so if your piggy enjoys this you could step up the amount you give,but again,do not overdo because broccolli is fairly high in calcium.
Paws crossed for a good quality of life for a long time.

Hi :)

I don't feed my piggers brocolli or spinach or curley kale - due to the high calcium content...... i've had 3 piggers with bladders stones and had to operate on all of them - not very nice - so i've put a total ban on any dark green veggies..... :( piggers not happy but no more ops!

I have 9 guinea pigs, 5 cats 2 rabbit, hamster fish and a husband!

I'd take in more but only have a 2 bedroom cottage!

Lovely to chat with other piggie people
xx

Hi,

Thanks people for your support. I'm feeling quite down just now (not helped by the fact the OH is away on business so he doesn't even know yet).

Recently (ie over the past 2-3 months, I've been feeding them Gerty Guinea Carrot and Cranberry, as it had no artificial colours and hey'd gone off their previous food. Reading the reviews on here though, I might switch to the Wagg or Science Selective.

In terms of greens, they tend to get a mixture of celery, cucumber, kale, broccoli, carrot, chicory and sometimes parsley. I usually give a portion of greens 3 times a day. They've always got hay and I do give them those dandelion/nettle/mint stick things (the ones that look like cigars) - they just love them!

How should I give them the vitamin C? I've tried Redoxin in the water in the past, but as neither of them are big drinkers I'm not sure that's the best way to get it into them.

All suggestions are welcome - if there's anything you think I should be doing differently please tell me! My 2 boys are rescue piggies, they both had a tough start to life and I'd do anything to make them happy and healthy.

Redoxin has sweeteners so I do not use it.I do not give vitimin supplement very often and when I do I use Abidec baby vits.One drop per day.This has other vits besides C ,so is not a good long term supplement.I believe you can get liquid vitimin c,maybe from Thistle Cavies or Planet Guinea.Karen may be able to help with this one.

I have not seen the mint stick treats,do they contain any additives?,I do not use these products,my pigs get favourite veggies as treats.

Holland and Barrett do liquid vit C in Rosehip form.

Planet Guinea is strictly seeds Mary :) You really must visit one day ;)

The mint sticks are by Burgess? I think. Mine get home grown grass, sunflower greens etc as treats.

oh lordie

just typed a long reply and managed to wipe it out....... >:( ok nursie hat on again

Basically try to feed them a complete diet - timothy western/oxbow. With the multi pellet food they tend to pick out the sugary bits and leave the good bits.

Whilst recovering from a general anesthetic we advise critical care which contains all the vitamins and goodies that convalescing piggers need. Ask your vet.

I don't feed my guys any fruity bars etc, just pellets and veggies once daily and hay twice a day..... I know it sounds boring but it means that i've had to take the guys less into work with me and no more bladder stones.......

How is your little one doing?
x

Forgot to say my sow had a mammary tumour removed and was nearly 7 when she died, don't know if it was cancerous though :-\

Yep Karen,should have remembered about Planet Guinea as I bought some seeds from them early last year,and will be buying more.!

I don't think Vitamin C in the water really works with guineas. If they will eat it give them a whole tomato every day as that is very high it vit C. Mine love it!

Green pepper is also high in vit C, though not all guineas like it!
Good luck with your little one :smitten:

hoping your darling boys are better. what are their names? what is planet guinea? and timothy hay too for that matter? we get a powder from the health food shop it is a vitamin C supplement which we add a pinch in their water. as for the peppers, is it only green peppers you can give piggies? aren't peppers hot? are piggies and bunny are 3.5 for zoe and faline and jessie is 1.5. they are pretty set in their ways of what they will or won't eat.
getting of the subject hear, hoping you baby gets better, had a guinea pig who got lumps(not cancerous) and she had 3-5 sugeries in her 6 years poor rosie. had a bunny bambi who would also get lumps, cancerous ones too, he lived till 5.5 years.
sending love and prayers to you and your piggies. please keep us updated. :) :smitten: :) :smitten:

Planet Guinea sells seeds to grow for your guinea pig (grass and herbage). Timothy hay is made from timothy grass which is better for guineas than Rye though Rye isn't toxic or 'bad' :)

here in australia we have 3 types of hay-meadow, oaten and lucerne. we use to give our piggies meadow but they would get too many seeds in their eyes so we feed them oaten hay. also aren't green peppers hot? our piggies are 3.5 and 1.5 years old and faline the bunny is 3.5 years old. and these girls are the fussiest eaters we have known.
what are your boys names? sending love and prayers their way. :) :smitten:

Yes,green peppers are hotter than red .My piggies will eat red,green and orange peppers. which are full of vitimin C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back